Re: Back breaking book bags and tiny tots

  • Shirin Choksey
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2006

      There is atlest one NGO  But it is not powerful . IAPE can give you guidance. Does anybody want to follow. I am attached to 3 schools where this is happening.     Textbooks are not necessary. WORKBOOKS need to be scrapped completely.  They should be banned.Atleast for the pre-primary & primary one can certainly do without textbooks & workbooks.    Hence the burden is totally reduced  .                      Why should schools interview & test the children before admitting them?                       Why don't the the parents protest?   Infact poor children are further burdened    Parents send them to tuition classes, so that they can pass the interview .      The parents ,the society needs to demand all these changes.                  Nowhere in the world is the child subjected to interviews  & tests before admission to the pre-primary school. Nowhere in the world are there workbooks at the pre-primary or primary level.  FIND out who is benefitting from printing these books.        BORING unnecessary stuff. Imagine wring A 25 times.                    Why are the parents succumbing to all this , they are in the majority . They can protest and bring about the changes.          Infact when the RAM JOSHI commission said there should be no tests ,no interviews, no textbooks ,it was the parents who opposed   all this and ofcourse the schools too opposed. Schools wanted the tests . Schools wanted the cream.                Education needs to be for all.   Do we know how to teach all the children.           Teachers training is so poor. Nobody wants to become a teacher. If teachers themselves are not good , how can they impart good education. There is no innovation. In fact the standard is degrading year after year.         Every year infact IAPE has had workshops to propogate learning the fun way , learning without textbooks, learning through experience, learning by experimenting, learning through interaction.  Teachers who attend always feel they want these changes, but most times the head of the school does not allow them to make the changes

      IAPE  is one NGO  that has been saying it is rediculous .  EXPERTS  nominated by the government  like the Kothari commission  plus the Yaspal Committee over the years have said it is a crime . 1986 New ed. Policy too said there should be no burden on the child. NCERT is saying it all along. Does the gov.listen? Commisions & committees are formed but nothing happens after that. No action is taken , if it is taken it is temporary.

      Do the schools want to do anything about it . CERTAINLY the child has no VOICE so one can pressurize . There used to be no reading & writing in the pre-primary , now it is the in thing. More pressure on the children. If schools do not want it , parents pressurize why not have it.Nobody thinks of the CHILD.

      There definately can be a curriculum without textbooks. It is theme based teaching. Nobody wants to do this ,it is hard work. It is so much easier open pg. 9 read. T. reads , children read ,learn by heart, pass the exam. We are v. happy results 100% Is this education? Those who are left are left out so you can get 100%     Sorry VINAY  IAPE has no ego problems.    shirin

      Discover. Explore. Connect-Windows Live Spaces. Check out!
    • ravi_khardekar
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
        SOLUTION TO HEAVY BAG,

        Fifteen years back I wrote a comprehensive solution strategy
        which is very simple.

        I personally met a sub editor of a reputed news paper, and gave
        the article. In a diluted form it appeared as an article by some one
        else. Millions of youngsterts have continued carrying back breaking
        school bags even after this.

        Solutions to problems can not be tagged to our (meaningless)
        self importances. 'My Solution' can not be most superior. 'I' can
        not distort other's suggestion just to put my author-ship on it.

        Recently one Human Rights authority behaved in a similar way
        when same suggestion was given. ( I have only intermittently tried
        spreading the message __ which ofcourse is a greater mistake.)

        Suggestion is as follows:-

        (A) Split the books in four quarters.

        Rational: 1. When students are taught portion of one quarter
        they are without any reason carrying portions of other three
        quarters every day on their backs.

        Publishing books as set of four, covering portions of each
        quarter, immediately reduces the weight to one fourth as far as the
        text books are concerned.

        Note books must never be more than two (40 page) for each
        subject. One can be for submitting home work and one for doing class
        work.
        ( Teachers are never satisfied without having multiple notebooks
        for each subject. Their (operational & psychological ) needs can be
        addressed by printing thinner note books.)

        (B) This second suggestion is more far reaching in its impact.

        The vice principals and supervisors who formulate the time
        table for students every year do a tedious exercise of distributing
        9-10 subjects with similar number of sections and teachers fitting
        them over six to seven periods.
        Doing this for each standard is a gigantic task.

        Suggestion:

        Do not teach more than three subjects per day. ( Irrespective
        of what 'theories of education' say, common sense tells us that
        three different subjects on one day are sufficient to break any
        monotony. etc)

        On the other hand restricting the number of subjects to three
        per day will result in better absorption.

        To fill entire day ofcourse you would need to give two periods
        per subject. My suggestion is to have two consecutive periods
        allotted to one subject.

        First period should be for teaching the 'topic of the day' and
        second for 'class work' on same topic.

        Rational: Better absorption, less psychological burden. Reduced
        stress as less amount of home work. Less clashes between teachers.
        Simpler time table and simpler supervisory roles?

        Hope above suggestions reach wider audience and receive
        critical evaluation.

        ( SOME PARENTS HAVE IN LAST TWO YEARS STARTED TEARING THE TEXT
        BOOKS IN THREE/FOUR PARTS AND GIVING ONLY ONE THIRD AT A TIME TO
        THEIR WARDS.) a more organised approach is possible and was long
        needed.

        Ravi Khardekar
      • Save the Children
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
          I feel teh schools for middle classes are the worst of teh lot and most harmful since they set teh standard for poor community schools.

          I as a parent feel that this problem is mainly because teachers have no planning despite a lot of textbooks showing lesson plan and method etc. I shall just give you an example. If the teachers are organised then the child does not have to carry four books for english subject: textbook, notebook, grammar book, grammar notebook/ workbook.

          IF teh teacher plans then teh child is told in advance what will be done in the next few days and parents can send only that what has been asked for.

          Now some schools are giving worksheets whcih I do not think is good idea unless they are a result of planning. MAny a times there are so many errors made by teh teacher who prepares them in a hurry..As there is no one to supervise these worksheets preparation, there is no point in giving bad quality sheets : it reflects badly on the teacher and the parent and child loses respect for teh teacher concerned.

          So as parent of a Vth std. child of a renowned private school, I would say all schools should have some kind of quality check on their actual educational programme. some of tehse private schools claim to be ISO 2000 standards and parents are looking at these standards for tehir children. Who ensures that these are truly followed.

          Let me also inform you that parents have no say in these matters. Most schools have no parents teachers asscoiations they are only meetings. Whereever there are PTAs, the school selects parents for the association in advance. It is hardly democratic.
        • ravi_khardekar
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 18, 2006
            Heavy School Bags.
            The issue is getting raised again and again in different media.
            Apparently nobody seems to have some reasonable solutions to
            offer. Is Karmayog interested in following suggestion I posted in
            the beginning of this month for this problem?

            _ Ravi Khardekar

            --- In karmayog@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_khardekar"