toilets: should have clothes washing machines

  • Doorstep
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2006
      This is a response to the discussion on toilets.
      I do agree that toilets for the por should be a priority. I feel these
      toilets should be built along with a public washing facility or launderettes
      The water used for washing in the machines can be used for draining the
      toilets., Our experience of working with slum communities shows the need for
      mechanical washing facility in these areas. Women in every household spend a
      considerable amount of time and energy in daily washing activity. The girls
      in the family are engaged in this work if we can save there time we can
      bring them to literacy classes at alleast for an hour a day.
      I have tried to find out from different sources how we can go about doing
      this. My reasearch in Pune brought it to my notice that current public
      toilets cannot be used for this purpose because they are not connected to
      city drainage system. they are septic tank type toilets.
      I would like to get reactions, suggestions, information on
      the idea of having laundrette facility along with the public toilets.
      Rajani Paranjpe
      Door Step School
      rajani@...