why are we seen as a Soft Sector?

  • Karmayog.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      Very pertinent questions.
      Let's hear what people have to say.
      Vinay

      ----- Original Message -----
      Hi Vinay,

      I was just going back through some of the Karmayog digests and noticed your
      posting of 21Nov and your request for better organization / follow up of
      meetings with you. The Development sector is indeed notorious for the very
      things you've pointed out. Kudos on your patience.

      Does the Dev sector really, truly recognize the value of the funds we get?
      As you mentioned in your 21 Nov posting, there is often a stark difference
      between the focus seen in the for-profit vs. non-profit sector. We
      recognize that a 3 lakh grant helps us continue our work (and sometimes
      makes the difference between surviving and shutting up shop). But if we
      were to look at ourselves through the lens of output and impact per Rupee,
      would we qualify as effective? There's a reason we're seen as such a soft
      sector - how are we contributing to that? What kind of follow-up do we do?
      What kind of larger picture are we
      addressing? Can we get away with saying a non-performer has a good heart
      and so warrants a salary or do we set more aggressive skills development
      programs? Etc.