95268Traffic police get cracking, increase visibility on Mumbai roads

  • Pearl - Karmayog
    Apr 17, 2014

      Source: The Times of India

      Date: 16.4.14

      Traffic police get cracking, increase visibility on Mumbai roads

      MUMBAI: Even as the presence of traffic policemen on roads has been increased as part of a new strategy to streamline the traffic flow in the city, post-elections, the short-staffed department will recruit 100 more personnel. At present, there are only 3,493 traffic policemen in the city.

      "Collection of fines should not be the criteria; smooth running of traffic is important. We have adopted a strategy to increase the presence of traffic policemen on city roads. They have to be out on the roads from 8.30am to 11.30am and from 4.30pm to 9pm," said city police commissioner Rakesh Maria at a roundtable discussion organized by TOI as part of its Mumbai Patrol campaign.

      The department has also conducted a study on all city roads and found out where traffic is less and at what time. The plan is to keep the signals on flash mode on such stretches during that period.

      "We are also reviewing existing equipment for clearing broken-down vehicles, trees or an oil spillage. Equipment, such as hippo cranes, need to be parked at strategic locations from where they can be easily rushed to the spot. A demand for more such equipment will also be made to the state," Quaiser Khalid, additional commissioner of police (traffic) told TOI.

      Addressing the need to fix the parking issue, the traffic department will rope in residents' groups to work out solutions. "Several residential zones have been converted into commercial, resulting in establishments cropping up in narrow lanes. At the same time, the number of cars per family has also increased. As there is not enough space to park vehicles inside housing society compound, we are asking resident associations to provide feedback and also solutions to help us fix this situation," said Khalid.

      The traffic police have also revived the road safety advisory committees, comprising NGOs and citizen groups, for feedback and solutions to traffic problems.

      To tackle the menace of fare refusals by autorickshaw and taxi drivers, the traffic police will coordinate with regional transport offices and paste their helpline numbers on the back of these public transport vehicles.

      "Also, the ban on certain vehicles on specific stretches, such two-wheeler prohibition on JJ Flyover and Eastern Freeway, will be strictly enforced. Our men, too, won't be spared if they flout rules," said Khalid.