95263You think it's time for a change? Give Meera Sanyal a ch ance

  • Pearl - Karmayog
    Apr 17, 2014

      Source: The Times of India

      Date: 15.4.14

      ‘You think it’s time for a change? Give Meera Sanyal a chance’

      Sanyal, former CEO of the Royal Bank ofScotland , had stood for elections as an Independent in 2009 after a colleague was killed during the 26/11 terrorist attacks. "I felt the time had come for people like us to stop criticizing the system, or taking part in candle-light marches, but to take a stand for what we believed in," writes Sanyal on her website. She lost in 2009 to Congress MP, Milind Deora, who has concentrated on cluster redevelopment schemes like the Bhendi Bazaar redevelopment plan and was at the helm of the 'Save Campa Cola' campaign. Besides Deora, her opponents in this election include Maharashtra Navnirman Sena's Bala Nandgaonkar, who was runner-up in the last election, and Shiv Sena's Arvind Sawant, a two-time MLA.

      "But if you feel it is time for change, give AAP and Meera Sanyal a chance." On what gives her an edge over her opponents, Sanyal replied, "I am the only candidate talking about issues and presenting concrete solutions, instead of pointing fingers at other candidates." Over the last five years, Sanyal claims she has been studying the challenges faced by her constituency, city, and country and looking for workable solutions that have been implemented in other parts of the world. "For instance, cities in developing countries are increasingly constructing infrastructure for pedestrians instead of cars," she pointed out.