57690Re: Reducing the use of plastic bags.

  • inst_oflifesciences
    Nov 30, 2009
      Dear Mr. Mathur,

      When we talk about "cheap options", it appears that as if money is the factor that determines whether or not we use plastic bags. But if we realise, this criteria applies to the hawkers, who distribute these plastic bags and would want to have a cheaper option in place of a plastic bag.

      But the question here is, whether we would be determining the cost of a particular thing only by its rupee value and ignoring the cost in terms of the impact it has on nature. The cheapest and the best option is to carry your own bag to the market. It is not only cheap but in fact more profitable for the hawker who saves on the cost of providing any bag. In fact they any average hawker can save upto Rs. 2000/ to 3000/ every month by this simple method.

      But the problem is that his consumer (WE) ask for a carry bag and out of his fear of not losing a customer, the hawker has to provide something.

      The real problem is that we don't want to take the trouble of remembering to carry our own bag to the market.
      It is we who feel ashamed/ uncomfortable to hold in our hands, whatever we have buyed and hence feel the need to cover it with some bag.
      It is we, who look for our short term comforts, in the bargain choosing to ignore the long term harmful effects of our negligience.

      It is not that we should not look for providing better options, but the focus should be towards the motivation that has been created from making the consumer feel more responsible.

      I plan to post the details of what was discussed in our meeting on Sunday (29th Nov).

      Thanks for creating a space for interaction.

      Luv and Regards,
      Dr. Atul Pednekar

      --- In karmayog@yahoogroups.com, "G.C. Mathur" <gcmbinty@...> wrote:

      > Dear r. Pednekar,
      >
      > Your mail in KD 4069 dated 29.11.09 on the cited subject, taking steps to reduce the use of plastic bags is the call of the day if we have to get rid off the choking environment. What I feel is that unless there is an equally cheap substitute to plastic packing materials and bags, today it is next to impossible to reduce use of plastics in any form. If you have found any substitute, please do let me know also for advantage elsewhere.
      >
      > Thanks and Best Wishes,
      >
      > G C Mathur
      > Convenor-Trustee Treasurer, Binty
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic