1491Calling all fundraisers in India

  • Babita Verma
    Dec 30, 2004
      Calling all fundraisers in India
      Support the Tsunami relief NOW!

      Often we in the voluntary sector plan successful
      fundraising drives and media campaigns for our own
      causes and organisations. It's time now to initiate
      some fundraising and media coverage in support of
      voluntary sector/ NGO initiatives working for the
      Tsunami disaster relief.

      It is estimated that the Tsunami disaster has claimed
      over 60,000 lives and the livelihoods of millions of
      people have been shattered. But Sri Lanka and
      Indonesia have had it worse than us in India, as we
      are equipped with the skills and resources to respond
      to immediate and long-tern rehabilitation and
      reconstruction needs of the affected communities.

      The Government, political parties and the corporate
      sector are responding; but it is also right that all
      over India, voluntary organisations take immediate
      steps to provide relief. Indeed our own voluntary
      organisations are likely to be a key source of caring
      and humanitarian support to communities over the
      coming months and years.

      Here are just a few examples of how some voluntary
      organisations have responded:

      The Environment Support Group, Bangalore has formed a
      network with five NGOs and some colleges, to
      coordinate efforts and organise a march for collecting
      relief material from various parts of Bangalore.

      Sristi, Ahmedabad, in coordination with IIM (A), has
      raised Rs 50,000 in one day and sent three ambulances
      to Tsunami affected areas. They are also organising a
      cultural programme on 6 January 2005 to raise funds.

      The Sumanahalli Society has sent a team of three
      nurses, two social workers and three volunteers to
      Cuddalore, with medicines worth Rs. 1 lakh, clothes
      and food.

      GiveIndia, Mumbai, has set up a Rehabilitation Fund to
      support initiatives to help those affected by the
      Tsunami. 100% of the funds raised for this purpose
      will be disbursed for relief and rehabilitation of the
      victims. (www.giveindia.org)

      Skillshare International - India, Delhi, is sending
      healthcare professionals to Tamil Nadu. They have also
      tied up with Jet Airways for transporting relief
      materials to the affected areas.

      Goonj, Delhi has initiated 'Rahat Tsunami' and
      activated its centres all over India to collect
      materials and cash donations from the public. The
      first batch of materials is to be dispatched to
      Chennai in a day.

      Citizen's Initiative, a network of 31 NGOs in Gujarat,
      has done a rapid assessment of the situation in Tamil
      Nadu and set up a rescue and relief center at Chennai.
      A mobile clinic has been sent to Chennai and now other
      materials and donations are being collected.

      Maitri, Pune, has already raised Rs 1.5 lakh and is
      sending volunteers to Chennai.

      The Bridge Foundation, Bangalore has tied up with the
      local taxi service to pick up materials from
      individuals and then dispatched to Chennai.

      Rural Development Trust, Anantapur has already sent 5
      relief teams to Tamil Nadu to provide relief and
      rehabilitation services.

      We now request you to immediately initiate fundraising
      drives to raise resources for this disaster. And
      please let us know what you do so that we can spread
      the word.

      There are numerous organisations already at work
      especially in Tamil Nadu. Support organisations you
      know or support the work of The Tsunami-South India
      NGO Coordination Cell, Chennai.

      Contact:
      Tsunami-South India NGO Coordination Cell
      No 4, Sathalvar Street
      Mugappair West
      Chennai 600 037
      Phone (Off) +91 44 26244211, 26357854
      Fax (Off) + 91 44 26250315
      Coordinator Mr Jacob Dharamraj (+91 98402 21710/
      93801 26090)
      Email prepare@...
      NGO Cell admin.: Mr R Mohan (+91 93801 25945)

      Circulated by: MCC � Murray Culshaw Consulting
      mcc@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com