Fwd: Indian & Swiss democratic systems.

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1 3:32 AM

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: MD Kini

      Aug 28
      True Democracy in Action.

      JOGISHWAR SINGH

      *As a Swiss citizen born in India, I am many times brought to think about
      my experiences of the democratic systems prevalent in the two countries.

      Before Indian 'patriots' start screaming murder at what I am going to say,
      I should point out that I am fully aware that I am talking about two
      different historical realities.

      Switzerland has been independent for over 800 years while India is a newly
      created entity, now a mere 66 years old.

      Switzerland has a population of only 8 million while India has the second
      highest population of any country in the world at over 1.2 billion (give or
      take a few million). And expected, in the near future, to even outstrip
      China, and become the world's most populous.

      The trigger for this set of reflections was what I saw on the 7.30 pm eve.
      news on Swiss TV a couple of weeks ago.

      The Swiss President, Mr Ueli Maurer, was leaving on a five day state visit
      to China. The news showed him arriving at Zürich airport in an ordinary
      private vehicle. The President got out of the car by opening the car door
      himself. He walked to the nearby baggage trolley stand outside the airport
      entrance. He took a baggage trolley out, rolled it towards the car, lifted
      his suitcase and travel bag himself, put these on the trolley which he then
      rolled towards the entrance like any passenger lambda like you or me. He
      walked up to the check in counter with just two other persons walking
      behind him. He checked his luggage in for a commercial flight without any
      special treatment being meted out to him.

      For any Indians (or others) who might find it difficult to believe what I
      have described above, you can CLICK on the link provided hereunder, at the
      end of this article, to view a TV news clip from the evening prime time
      news for July 16, 2013..

      You'll get visual proof of the Swiss President's arrival at the airport,
      his check in for his state visit to China and a short interview with a TV
      journalist. This clip is really worth watching.

      Conditioned by my personal experiences of dealing with politicians and
      government ministers in India while serving as an IAS (Indian
      Administrative Service) officer, I was so struck by the contrast between
      what I had experienced in India and what I was seeing on the TV screen that
      I told my wife that this represented one of the finest examples of
      democracy for me, certainly of the Swiss variety. It made me proud to be
      the citizen of a country where the serving President behaves like an
      ordinary citizen and does not feel the need to consider special privileged
      treatment as his divine birthright.

      I remembered the countless times when I had seen the fury of Indian
      politicians, much below the level of the President of a country, at what
      they considered as a slight because they had not been treated as demi-gods.

      I am not a psychologist. I do not know whether centuries of slavery have
      generated this distorted VIP culture in India but I remember that we all
      did curse the politicians there for causing so much inconvenience to the
      general public by expecting, demanding and getting privileged treatment.

      Who in India, except maybe some politicians or bureaucrats, has not been
      inconvenienced by VIP visits for which miles of roads and highways, even
      entire neighbourhoods, are blocked off to traffic, and flights are delayed,
      awaiting the arrival of some VIP or even his/her flunkies/family members?

      Any such inconvenience would cause an uproar in Switzerland.

      In India, it does not generate even a whimper.

      In this context, an incident from the not very distant past strongly
      lingers in my memory. A few years ago, a former IAS batch-mate of mine
      (1976 batch) had visited Switzerland.

      I have noticed that Switzerland becomes a prize destination of choice for a
      lot of Indian ministers and bureaucrats during their hot summer for
      attending all kinds of useless conferences which are essentially talking
      shops organised by the United Nations, an organisation which is a hotbed of
      nepotism and inefficiency.

      This IAS officer wanted to see Switzerland, so I acted as his local tourist
      guide.

      While we were going around the Swiss federal capital, Bern, it was lunch
      time so we decided to have lunch at a restaurant very close to the Swiss
      parliament building.

      As we took our seats at a table, a Swiss gentleman sitting at the next
      table, reading his newspaper while sipping his coffee, greeted us in
      English. While we ordered our meal and waited, he finished reading his
      newspaper, drank his coffee and called for his bill which he paid before
      leaving. While going out, he again politely wished us goodbye, even saying,
      "I hope you enjoy your stay in Switzerland" in English.

      After he had left, I asked my visitor if he knew who the man had been.
      Obviously, my visitor did not know the answer. I informed him that we had
      just been greeted by the then serving Swiss President, Mr René Felber.

      My guest thought I was making fun of him. He would not believe me so I
      called the restaurant manager to confirm the veracity of what I had told
      him. The manager duly confirmed what I had said.

      My Indian visitor was flabbergasted. He said, "How can this be possible? He
      actually paid his bill before leaving".

      So, what struck my visitor the most had been the fact that a VIP had
      actually paid his bill! I wonder what he would say if he saw our current
      President, Mr Ueli Maurer, personally loading his bags on to a baggage
      trolley and wheeling it to a check-in counter just like any ordinary
      citizen. His disbelief could only be countered by visual evidence on the TV!

      My visitor's reaction brought back memories of when, as a serving
      sub-divisional or district level official, I had been called upon to
      organise lunches and dinners for numerous collections of freeloaders
      travelling with ministers or bureaucrats in India.

      I seldom remember any politician or bureaucrat actually paying or even
      offering to pay for the bonanza laid out for them. Those who did offer to
      pay, did so at the ridiculously low official daily fare of eleven rupees
      (today, a mere 20 cents US) per person or something like that.

      Nobody ever asked how it had been possible to lay out a lavish meal
      comprising several dishes, accompanied by expensive alcoholic beverages,
      for such a petty sum. I never found out myself who used to pay for all this
      extravaganza at the end of the line.

      Like a good Indian bureaucrat, I just used to pass the buck down the line
      to my junior magistrates and revenue officials. To this day, I am unable to
      clarify which poor victim -- read, citizen! -- who got stuck with paying
      for all the freebies on offer.

      While working as chief of staff to the President of the Swiss Commission
      for the Presence of Switzerland in Foreign Countries many years ago, I had
      the chance of accompanying him to Strasbourg for meetings of the Council of
      Europe. I also had the privilege of close interaction with several Swiss
      members of parliament over an extended period of 12 to 14 months.

      The contrast to the behavioural pattern of what I had experienced in India
      with politicians was so stark that it has stayed seared in my mind even
      till today.

      I am by no means suggesting that Swiss politicians are angels but the kind
      of behaviour that Indian politicians or bureaucrats get away with as a
      matter of routine in India would torpedo their careers in Switzerland in a
      jiffy.

      Each such incident deepens my gratitude to Waheguru Almighty for having
      made me settle down in a country like Switzerland where the President
      carries his own bags to the check-in counter.

      Where no roads are blocked for hours so that some VIP can, in the name of
      security, be whisked around in convoys of official vehicles.

      Where politicians and bureaucrats pay their bills in restaurants.

      Where grossly sycophantic behaviour is not the general and accepted norm.

      Where no red-light beacons or screaming sirens signal the passage of VIP
      vehicles. Indeed, the red-light-beacon culture of officialdom in India
      merits a full story in itself.

      I might accept India as a true democracy the day I see its President or
      Prime Minister behaving like the Swiss President before his departure on an
      official visit abroad.

      I don't think I will ever see such a sight in India during my lifetime.

      You think, maybe, my grandchildren will?

      To view the TV news-clip, please CLICK
      <http://www.rts.ch/video/info/journal-19h30/5071654-ueli-maurer-se-renden-chine-en-toute-simplicite.html>

    • Yeddanapudi markandeyulu
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2 6:43 AM
        Dears All,
        I fully agree with whatever is written about the revolting practice of
        our even so called (not so) VIPs and also real VIPs. I continuously
        suffer the site of a big VIP pretender here who is accompanied by
        about eight cars while the man moves in VIP car with a red light on
        the top. He is Wine shop owner and also some office bearer in some
        party.
        But there is real security threat to many official functionaries in
        India. They certainly cannot go without security. I am curious to know
        how the Swiss provide the security cover. After all there are many
        international terror outfits.
        Y.Markandeyulu
      • MALLAPRAGADA RAMARAO
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4 5:35 PM
          We also had a President who paid all the expenses incurred by his personal
          guests for their visit to New Delhi and stay at Rashtrapati Bhavan and it came
          to light only after his term was over.

          I admit that Sri Kalam was an exception but  there are a few more
          exceptions among our past and present elected representatives.

            --
            www.srisms.com
            For Solar Home Light Systems