Fwd: [karmayog] Re: Uttarakhand disaster information

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2013

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      Date: Thursday, July 25, 2013
      Subject: [karmayog] Re: Uttarakhand disaster information
      To: karmayog@yahoogroups.com

      What was your most humbling experience?

      Nakul Arora, A Crazy Dreamer

      I recently volunteered for the relief work for Goonj in Uttrakhand flood relief. For distribution of food items, i went to Kalsi block, near Vikasnagar where Amla, a tributary of Yamuna had changed its course and thus, cut through two villages. It had totally reduced to rubble 18 houses. I reached the village Inderpuri at around 4 pm with a truck-load of material that Goonj had sent to be distributed with the help of a local organization. The villagers all gathered and sat around our truck while a local person started calling out their names one by one for them to come up. Some villagers didn't even have gunny-bags(boris) to take the rations in and thus, were taking them up in their clothers(Sarees, t-shirts, chunis). I, being from a middle class urban family had never seen people line up and wait like this for food to be distributed. However, the part that shook me the most came when it suddenly started raining heavily. We had to stop the distribution to prevent the dry rations from going waste. We requested the villagers to seek shelter from the rain and that we would start once again as soon as the rain stops. However, to my complete horror, most of them just refused to leave. They kept standing there through the heavy rain just out of the fear that we might suddenly decide to leave. It was around 8 in the night and to see villagers standing there waiting for rations in rain and pitch dark shook all my beliefs about poverty and life. For the first time, i saw what hunger can do to a person and how little a significance big words of intellectuals have for a person who's family is hungry. I am yet to fully understand and imbibe the true impact of the experience upon myself but, i will surely remain grounded for the remainder of my life.