Panchayat Elections vs the role of State Election Commission & Election Watch Groups

  • jeevananda reddy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2013
      Panchayat Elections vs the role of State Election Commission & Election Watch Groups

      State Election Commission [SEC] announced elections to Panchayats on “no party basis” to be conducted in three phases -- Later on party basis elections for Mandal & Zillaparishads. So, far so is good.  The SEC appears to be colluded with the ruling party.  Why I am saying this is, when the ruling party is acting against the election code, the SEC did little including fraud in the electoral list preparation.  The same was followed during the cooperative banks elections. Even the officer played kidnap drama but did not take action on the officer or on the people. Some parties approached the court to get justice. It shows, how inefficient is our SEC. Unfortunately the Election Watch Groups [EWG] also followed the footsteps of SEC.

      When SEC announced the Panchayat Elections in three phases, it violated the code by announcing the results of the phase-I that severely affect the electoral chances of different political parties in the next two phases.  One may wonder how this happens!!!  We all know in the past, courts have directed ban on pre-pole surveys.  This is basically because to avoid undue advantage to one party and disadvantage to other.  Same is the case with announcing pole results of phase-I that severely affect pole prospects of other parties.  You can see what happened after the nominations and the announcement of Phase-I electoral results:

      Several Panchayats elected presidents unopposed. Though it is non-party basis different parties claimed the major share.  Let me present my observation on this, which I collected from four Telugu daily newspapers – Eenadu, Andhra Jyothi, Vaartha & Sakshi. For example, Eenadu reported YSR congress got around 13% of the Panchayats elected unopposed.  The same was around 16% by Andhra Jyothi, around 19% by Vaartha and around 33% by Sakshi.  More or less the same pattern followed even for the Phase-I, elections. It is all biased reporting. This type of reporting is certainly affect prospects of certain parties negatively and certain others positively.

      Neither SEC nor EWG made any observation on this of reporting nor the courts took up this as suo-motto issue.  It appears to favour ruling party this system was adopted. I used to think Election Commission as an independent body follows the impartial path but unfortunately most of these people were chosen by the ruling party – including collectors/revenue officials they sincerely appeared following the ruling party dictums.

      There is a need to change this system.

      Dr. S. Jeevananda Reddy