Bondanapettu

  • vadlapudi kesavarao
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2013

      The Bondana pettu spirit

      Bondanpettu, as all Telugu speaking people know means attending to the last rites after death. One instinctively recoils at the very word as it has terrible negative connotations and very unpleasant sensations. We want to do that bondanapettu when the other person is actually living, only when we hate intensely. If that word is used casually then it means that hatred is part of the basic thought process or mentality of that bondanapettu enthusiast. If he thinks that it is humorous, it is the humour of an Eichmann who felt that it was humorous to kill the Jews. When they killed the Jews for that final solution, they wanted not only to eliminate the Jews but also all the heritage of the Jews---the ultimate bondana pettu spirit---performs the last rites of a culture with is history and heritage.

      Suppose the Jews themselves approved Hitler? Then it will be the ultimate cultural hara-kiri—the hara-kiri of self-respect and self-esteem—revelling in self-contempt. Then you develop the indifference to precious cultural foundations of basic identity and motivations; say C.Narayana Reddy’s greatest song on the Telugu identity. Suppose you make the Bard write another song recanting his greatest song? Then we have created the atmosphere of the concentration camp of Hitler. We have to think seriously, where we are landing.

      Now, how does this bondanapettu joke sound in a family that lost its youth in the agitation? Will it be humorous to them?