Re: Giving Gladly

  • Thiagarajan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2013
      "Giving" should certainly be a pleasure and a way of life.The happiness it gives far exceeds the physical shortages one has to accept whenthat much amount is gone. But---
      One problem in "giving" is the difficulty in knowing about the genuineness of the NGO. So many spurious NGOs are coming up; what is worse, even the reputed NGOs are losing credibility ( at least for me), as they are using Cyber-methods for collecting funds.The number of telephones one gets from organizations like "Save the Children", "CRY" or UNICEF frighten me. How much are they spending on the administrative costs of collecting donations?Are the funds reaching the right cause? are questions disturbing my mind. As for myself , I have stopped progressively giving to these NGOs
      . I now prefer to give small but KNOWN organizations such as schools,and specific known activists; sometimes to students handicapped for paying college fees etc. But I do realise the need for big but sincere organizations. I have a suggestion- the govt. should create a high level committee to which ALL NGOs in the State should report.They will have to submit the details of their activity and full accounts and the committee should have the authority and the facility to inspect and verify. In order to facilitate this everyNGO will have to give away 5 to 10% of their annual collection to this authority. The report of such a committee and the grading it has given will give credibility to the said organization and one will feel more confident to donate to such organization. This is only open thinking for all to consider and take some collective decision- if the suggestion is considered important and practicable
      --
      With Regards,
      Dr. S.V. Nadkarni,