Fwd: Pedestrian questions-CSE's Fortnightly News Bulletin (June 18, 2013)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2013

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: CSE
      Date: Tuesday, June 18, 2013
      Subject: Pedestrian questions-CSE's Fortnightly News Bulletin (June 18, 2013)
      To: csewhatsnew4@..., csewhatsnew5@...

      ===================================
      CSE's Fortnightly News Bulletin (June 18, 2013)
      ===================================

      This fortnight, we are rooting for those who walk. Literally. In her editorial in Down To Earth, Sunita Narain raises a really serious 'pedestrian' question -- are our cities designed for safe walking? Because if they are not, they will never be able to climb out of the quagmire of air pollution, congestion and immobility that cities and city dwellers like us are currently steeped in.

      The cover story is also opportune -- with the 2014 general elections on the horizon, it pans over the UPA government's ambitious Direct Benefit Transfer programme, and finds a lot of things going wrong with it.

      And with this fortnight, we also begin talking about something that is in the pipeline -- our Annual Down To Earth State of India's Environment Report. The inaugural issue will hit the stands in January 2014. To know more, just check out our first teaser ad in Down To Earth...
      Note, our other exclsuive newsletters cover subjects such as rainwater harvesting, air pollution, health, climate change,
      renewable energy and environmental governance.

      To unsubscribe from this newsletter, just click
      http://www.cseindia.org/content/please-enter-your-email-id-unsubscribe-cse-newsletter

      If you have any questions or concerns about newsletter subscription,
      please contact Vikas Khanna at vikas@...

      ====================================
      EDITORIAL: Pedestrian questions
      by Sunita Narain
      ====================================
      Have you ever noticed the footpath? Does it even exist? And if it does what is its height from the road? What should be the ideal height that allows for pedestrians to walk without fear of being run over or breaking a leg clambering onto it, while not allowing cars to park and take over this public space?

      Why am I asking these rather pedestrian questions? Because, quite frankly, these are the questions we need to answer. The only way our cities can crawl out of the quagmire of vehicles and pollution is to promote public transport systems at a scale and pace nobody has done or seen. I say this not out of arrogance; I am stating the imperative. The fact is our cities, with bumper-to-bumper traffic and dangerous levels of air toxins, have (believe it or not) only just begun to motorise. People do not move in cars in our cities, even if choked roads give that impression. In Delhi, statistics tell you that roughly 20 per cent of the city owns private cars. But only some 15 per cent rive to work, school or shop. These car users take up 90 per cent or more of the road space, and over 26 per cent of the city’s urban land is already under metal.

      The situation is the same across the country. Therefore, the only option for our cities is to reinvent mobility so that we do not have to drive—we can ride a bus or a train. The aim should be to use road space efficiently; move people, not vehicles.

      This is not possible unless we plan for what is called in transport lingo “last mile connectivity”. Simply put, we will not or cannot take a metro train or ride a bus if we cannot get to the station or to our destination with ease. Delhi, for instance, has over 150 km of world-class metro facilities. But how does the commuter get to the station? Buses are not easily available or convenient and footpaths do not exist. I cannot walk or cross the street. I cannot think that public transport will change the face of my city.

      That is why we need to think of where we walk. And the cruel fact is that we don’t. Let me reiterate that this is not idle talk. A number of people in our cities walk but they are invisible to planners and a nuisance to car drivers. According to government’s own estimates, roughly 30 per cent of city dwellers across the country commute daily by walking. In Delhi, a comprehensive 2010 study sponsored by the government shows 34 per cent of the daily “person trips” are “walk” only. In addition, 27 per cent walk to take a bus and almost all metro users walk before they can ride.

      We are blind to those who walk. That is why pavement is the first casualty of street widening to accommodate cars. That is why signal-free roads are the buzz-road even if it means that there is no light to stop vehicles so that people can cross the road. That is why we make bus stops and then put railing on road dividers; people cannot cross safely. Just stop. Just check how the pedestrian crossing is situated on the road. You will see what I mean.

      This is not the only problem. It seems we do not even know the right way to build pedestrian-friendly streets. The international practice is to build footpaths at a short height from the road—most cities mandate 150 mm—which is easy to use. The width is 2 metres at the minimum, allowing two people to walk easily.

      Our cities do not have specific codes for designing pedestrian-friendly roads. Instead, road engineers use the Indian Road Congress (IRC) codes for construction. But this association is known for its work in highway design, so till its last revision in 2012 it did not specify the height of the footpath. Road engineers had a field day doing whatever it took to make walking unenjoyable. In Delhi, drains have been covered along the roads to double up as sidewalks. The height is 400-500 mm, so one has to jump or climb.

      The 2012 IRC code specifies a minimum width of 1.8 m and a height of 150-250 mm. But now new challenges emerge. As cities lower the height, cars climb over the pedestrian walkway. The footpath becomes free parking. In this way, the vocal minority of car users takes the space reserved for the commuter on two legs. Equity in road space is easy to talk about but hard to enforce.

      This is now the design dilemma: what should be the height of the footpath? Should we follow international design standards? Or should Indian planners acquiesce to Indian habits and build practically. The problem is compounded by the fact that the penalty for illegal parking is so little that it does not matter. Cities cannot revise parking fines because these are mandated under the Central Indian Motor Vehicles Act. The Bill to increase the deterrence for wrongful or unauthorised parking has been with Parliament for the past four years.

      So what do we do? The answer is to build convenient sidewalks, with barriers to cars. This will require new designs for congested cities, where road space is limited and contested. But how? When?

      Pedestrian questions are not pedestrian after all. Think and look so that we can walk, not drive.

      - To post your comments on this editorial online, please visit http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/pedestrian-questions

      - To share this editorial, please click on the following
      Facebook: http://bit.ly/12CxCr3
      Twitter: http://bit.ly/1bMjM5c
      Google+: http://bit.ly/12CyJqV

      =========================
      MORE FROM DOWN TO EARTH
      =========================
      Cover story: Transition failure
      With an eye on the 2014 general election, the UPA government is expanding its ambitious Direct Benefit Transfer programme that promises welfare as cash in bank accounts. But without any groundwork
      it is only creating more trouble for beneficiaries
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/transition-failure

      Special Report: Rogue GM crops wreak havoc
      Monsanto’s unauthorised GM wheat in the US has spooked the world, but contamination is widespread
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/rogue-gm-crops-wreak-havoc

      Special Report: Crores to gamble
      National fund for research in clean energy ill-utilised
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/crores-gamble

      Special Report: Stink in the leather belt
      Calcutta Leather Complex has shifted from the heart of the city to the outskirts on Supreme Court order, but it fails to treat toxic effluent and solid waste
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/stink-leather-belt

      Special Report: Banking on mothers
      A bank in Udaipur collects mothers’ milk; experts to chalk out plan to include it in national policy
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/banking-mothers

      Features: Environment Day special: ACmageddon
      Soaring temperatures have made us AC addicts. With global sales growing by 18.5 per cent every year, running ACs is costing us the earth
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/environment-day-special-acmageddon

      Features: Collectors turn entrepreneurs
      A forest official helps tribals add value to forest produce and earn more
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/collectors-turn-entrepreneurs

      Interview: ‘Need balanced criteria to judge backwardness’
      In conversation with Shaibal Gupta,member of the committee set up by the Union Finance Ministry to create a composite development index for evaluating a state’s backwardness, and member-secretary of Asian Development Research Institute, Patna
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/need-balanced-criteria-judge-backwardness

      Science and Technology: Recall of the wild
      A huge debate surrounds the use of synthetic biology for environmental conservation
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/recall-wild

      Science and Technology: Quick trick
      Candida can now be detected in blood in just three hours
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/quick-trick

      Science and Technology: Moving target
      Drug targets body’s immunity instead of virus to cut flu deaths
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/moving-target

      Science and Technology: Wrap it right
      Pine oleoresin coating can cut nutrient pollution by urea
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/wrap-it-right

      News: Nuclear utility grabs land
      Public sector NPCIL encroaches upon mango plantations near its Ratnagiri plant
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/nuclear-utility-grabs-land

      News: Biodiversity body claims coal
      In a first-of-its-kind case, a biodiversity committee in Madhya Pradesh asks for royalty on coal
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/biodiversity-body-claims-coal

      News: Ahmedabad’s beat-the-heat plan
      Civic body to send weather alerts, create public awareness and train medical officials
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/ahmedabad-s-beat-heat-plan

      News: Dabur’s Real trouble in Sri Lanka
      People protest Dabur’s beverage plant, say it will exhaust groundwater
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/dabur-s-real-trouble-sri-lanka

      Crosscurrents: The unseen invader
      Lesser known invasive species Hyptis suaveolens is spreading across India
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/unseen-invader

      Patently Absurd: US pharma strikes back
      Upset by the Supreme Court’s endorsement of India’s patent law, the American drug industry is lobbying with Obama to tighten the trade screws on Delhi
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/us-pharma-strikes-back

      - Down to Earth on your iPad: For more information and ordering please visit us at:
      http://www.magzter.com/IN/Society-for-Environmental-Comm/Down-To-Earth/Technology/

      - Down to Earth on Google+: Please "+1" at:
      https://plus.google.com/106293307783638713083

      - Down to Earth on Facebook and Twitter: Do follow us, share, comment, and discuss and
      stay in constant touch with our reporters on: www.facebook.com/down2earthindia and
      twitter@downtoearthindia.

      Web DTE

      Get your copy of DTE's latest e-book free. 'A history of some environmental aspects' is a collection of articles on the history of environment and the environmental movement.
      Every article is a re-discovery of a contemporary environmental event. To download, click http://www.downtoearth.org.in/themes/DTE/images/wed2013_ebook.pdf

      - India’s population to overtake China’s by 2028; can it leverage the advantage?
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/india-s-population-overtake-china-s-2028-can-it-leverage-advantage

      - Blog: Second disempowerment
      Tribals have lost their decision-making power twice; first to the state then to the Maoists
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/second-disempowerment

      - Blog: Where votes meet volts
      Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's political future would depend much on fixing the country's power crisis
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/where-votes-meet-volts

      - Photogallery: One more goes down
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/node/389/20691/34471

      - Book review: A village awaits doomsday
      Victims of ‘growth’
      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/victims-growth

      ===========================
      On India Environment Portal
      ===========================
      - Get weekly updates from India Environment Portal
      Subscribe to weekly newsletter from the India Environment Portal for an update on environment and development
      from the region every week.
      http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/newsletter/india

      - Editor's Pick
      Check out Editor's Pick for a selection of top stories on environment
      http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/content/editors-pick

      - Browse and research in your language
      India Environment Portal is now available in Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Kannada,
      Urdu and several other languages too. Select the language of your choice,
      browse and research.

      - India Environment Portal is on Facebook and Twitter. Do follow, share,
      comment, and discuss at
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/indiaenvironmentportal/228015872817 and
      https://twitter.com/indiaenvportal

      For more details or any assistance, contact Kiran Pandey at
      kiran@..., kirandwi@...

      LEARNING WITH CSE
      Courses offered by Anil Agarwal Green College

      Short-Term Training Programme on HAZARDOUS WASTE MANAGEMENT
      Date: June 24-28, 2013
      Last date for applying: June 18, 2013

      Course module:
      - Exposure to the status of hazardous waste in India
      - Characterisation, recycle and reuse of hazardous waste
      - Understanding of hazardous waste management governing laws in the country
      - Better understanding of the environmental and social impacts of
      hazardous waste
      - Design of a landfill site, incineration and best practices involved
      - Good practices involved in the management of hazardous waste
      - National and international best practices

      Course contact: Swati Singh Sambyal,
      Industry & Environment Unit,
      Centre for Science and Environment
      Tel: + 91-11-29955124/ 6110, Extension: 281,
      Fax: + 91-11-29955879 Mob. No.: +91 9910496283
      E-mail: swati@...

      or visit:
      http://www.cseindia.org/content/eia-training-programme-understanding-eiafrom-screening-decision-making-0

      UNDERSTANDING EIA: FROM SCREENING TO DECISION MAKING
      Date: July 22-26, 2013
      Last date for applying: July 15, 2013

      Course module:
      - Exposure to all aspects of EIA, from its theory to the practical
      - Better understanding of the EIA process – from screening, scoping, data collection to impact assessment as well as the role of public consultation
      - Better unde