Please, please read this.

  • Usha Boppana
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13 7:53 AM

      " Dyer was a terrible man.He hated the Indian people and did everything to discredit them and further the British rule.Once when a British woman accused an Indian of accosting her in the street, all Indians were severely punished.General Dyer gave the command that Indians who passed along that busy thoroughfare had to do so crawling on their hands and knees.One brave woman refused to crawl.'This is my country', she said. 'the home of my parents and grandparents.I will not defame their honor in my own home.' To punish her, the general had her stripped naked and flogged in the public square.At a small window overlooking the square stood her young daughter who vowed, with tears flowing down her cheeks, that she would avenge her mother.

      "Years later General Dyer had his soldiers open fire with automatic rifles on peaceful Indians in Amritsar who had gathered for a rally which the general declared unlawful.This incident was brought to world attention.The general was returned to England where he met a hero's welcome while the Indians buried the hundreds he had killed.Several years later, when it became known that General Dyer was returning to India for a celebration, the little girl who had watched her mother tortured declared that she was now an adult and ready to marry any man who killed the general.

      "My master's son and four other men tried to kill him as he sat watching a race.The attempt was a failure;the young man managed only to shoot off the generals ear.Arrested, the men were sentenced to death by hanging.Because the other judges respected my master so much, they came to him and said that if he would write a public letter denouncing his son's terrorist behaviour, they would change the verdict from death to life imprisonment.

      "My master had the most difficult decision of his life to make.He told them that his son knew what he was doing and was well aware of the consequences of his action.If he did an unlawful act, than that was his responsibility.'I cannot apologise for him.I am a judge.You British shouldn't be here in our country anyway.'

      "The judges were angry at his remarks and retorted by forcing him to sign the death warrant.My master signed the paper, broke the pen in half, and walked out of the court.He disappeared,and while everyone searched for him, he was not to be found.

      I have no words to add, except to wonder.( The above is an excerpt from a lovely book, I laid my hands on.)

      Usha Boppana