Judges recruitment through UPSC -- Recent Delhi meet

  • jeevananda reddy
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9 5:15 PM
      Namaskar,

      Recent meet in Delhi -- CMs, judges -- which was inaugurated by PM: There was a discussion on the recruitment of judges through UPSC in which CMs supported this view but judges opposed it saying language problem. IAS and IPS, etc recruited by UPSC also have the same language problem but they were given training initially in the language of the state. The same could be done in judges cases if they are recruited through UPSC.  The following is a part of my letter to chief justice of India sent in february with copy to chief justice of AP and PM.

      "Unfortunately in the recruitment of judges there is no independent body like UPSC and thus lacking integrity.  For example, I applied for a central government post and visited New Delhi for UPSC interview in February 1969. Later I came to know the chairman of the committee was Air Vice-Marshal Arjun Singh.  Those who were recruited met at a training camp.  I was astonished to see the members were recruited without any bias – caste, religion, region, etc. This is not happening in judiciary recruitments.  Majority of the judges belong to particular industrial/business/political groups.  Now, even though it is changed a little in the recruitment of judges but yet the panel members of such recruitment committees belong to the past vested groups recruiters.  The judges who are part of this game, when become members of committees to select new judges, they naturally pickup their own mentors choice persons that once again continue the evil path declared by the clause. Under ordinary circumstances, if somebody thought justice was not done by a particular judge or a bench they have the option to go to higher level but with this clause there is no guarantee that they get justice even if they go to higher level. This is in fact what is happened in cases of Andhra Pradesh both at High Court and Supreme Court using this clause. Most unfortunately such judges get plum posts after retirement."

      Dr. S. Jeevananda Reddy