Re: Fw: taking or giving dowry

  • Mvs Rao
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9 9:08 AM

      The Dowry System :

      The interesting suggestion by Mr. Mallapragada Rama Rao regarding anti dowry points are good and practical way through information media.

      The payment of a dowry gift, often financial, has a long history in many parts of the world. In India, the payment of a dowry was prohibited in 1961 under Indian civil law and subsequently by Sections 304B and 498A of the Indian Penal Code (Criminal laws). These laws were enacted to make it easier for the wife to seek redress from potential harassment by the husband's family. In India, there are civil laws, criminal laws and special legislative acts against the tradition of dowry. Someone accused of taking dowry is therefore subject to a multiplicity of legal processes.

      (In one the court verdicts it was reported that the Anti Dowry law is to be taken as shield but not as a weapon.)

      I wish to add a few points of our marriage customs:

      Now a day’s Dowry taking is reduced as most parents as well girls and boys are better educated and feel it as a undignified custom. But unfortunately still in most weddings the parents of the girl have to share lot of more expenses than the boy’s parents, as weddings are becoming prestige shows and too much unnecessary money is spent for pomp and spectacle added to traditions!.  That is one reason many families in India prefer boys than girls because our traditional inbuilt system of spending more money to perform the marriage of a girl. It is unfortunately become a burden to girls’ parents. Most banks in India offer special savings for boys’ education and girls’ marriage expenditure.  Which reflects our sad social inequality between raising a boys and girls!. In any western countries such publicity would be taken as a joke!. It is not an exaggeration many times grooms’ parents in India demand that they are not interested in dowry but the marriage should performed in a grand way!. This grand show is vague term and many things can be demanded increasing the wedding expenses to the girls’ parents. When a wedding is grandly celebrated it the girl’s parents have to bear the brunt. I am not referring to weddings of very or super rich families, but speaking of average higher or middle class families.

      I strongly feel that weddings should not be treated as business ventures, and show of parents’ wealth. It is essentially a union of a man and woman to raise a family that is our human social requirement. I feel young men and women should show preference to simple registered marriages than big spectacle of show. Weddings should not be treated as responsibility of girls’ parents only. Let us treat girls and boys equally and give equal opportunities for education and other life styles.

      Sincerely,

      MVS.