New balls please – will India kick it like Germany ?

  • Jyothi Siri
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2013

      German Embassy
      Germany and India logo

      Press Release

      Date: 31.01.2013

      ADDRESS:

      6/50 Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri,

      New Delhi 110 021

      TEL (Delhi) + (0091-11) 4419 9135

      FAX +(0091-11) 2687 18 31

      pr-11@...

      www.india.diplo.de

      New balls please – will India kick it like Germany?

      Today, German Ambassador to India Michael Steiner hosted Oceania’s footballer of the century and former Bundesliga champ Wynton Rufer on the lawns of the German Residence. Wynton Rufer was accompanied by some thirty Indian kids of his Delhi based YMCA football camp.

      Kick-starting the soccer diplomacy, Ambassador Steiner said:
      “India is a cricket nation. And yet, India is also more and more into football. Wynton Rufer and the kids of his camp are the best prove for that.

      Football unites both our countries: Germany is a traditional soccer giant, having won three World Cups and three European Championships. India is a rising soccer giant in Asia, having just won the Nehru Cup 2012. Robin Dutt, the sports director of the German Football Association DFB, the biggest world-wide, has Indian roots. German football professionals train Indian players in Kolkata and Mumbai. All in all, very good conditions for a thriving Indo-German football cooperation.

      My personal dream is that India will kick it like Germany one day – and, who knows, we will see the first football match ever between India and Germany."

      Together with YMCA, the German Embassy supports Wynton Rufer’s football camp.

      For more info, log on to:
      www.india.diplo.de and www.facebook.com/germaninfo

      Follow us on Twitter @GermanyinIndia
      To download high-res pics of the event, log on to www.india.diplo.de

      Ambassador Michael Steiner

      Ambassador Michael Steiner with former Bundesliga champ Wynton Rufer and kids of his camp / © German Embassy New Delhi

      Jyothi Sirivaram

      GOETHE-ZENTRUM HYDERABAD

      20, Journalist Colony

      Road No 3, Banjarahills - 500034