Fwd: [karmayog] Why is there no room for women at the top?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2013
      From: karmayog - tanya

      http://tehelka.com/why-is-there-no-room-for-women-at-the-top/#

      Why is there no room for women at the top?
      In the glitzy corporate world, the rules of the game are different if you
      are a woman

      Sarita Pandey
      2013-02-23 , Issue 08 Volume 10

      WHEN I was nine, I would stand by the school playground and excitedly watch
      seniors play basketball. Knowing I could not play with them, I would be
      happy if they let me fetch the ball. I felt ecstatic if they smiled at me. I
      didn't complain when I was ignored. I waited to grow up.

      Working in the corporate setup often reminds me of that. The environment is
      awe-inspiring. Everything is glossy and glamorous. People are busy doing
      important things. Big dollars are discussed. Glorious campaigns are
      designed. Cool bar graphs, complex pie charts, pretty jargon. Projector
      lights flood chic conference rooms. It is difficult not to aspire to be a
      part of it. And rise. And keep rising. Get prominent. Get money to match
      that prominence. Feel successful.

      It was easy when I started out, confident in my heedlessness to hurdles and
      determination to deliver. It was like a dream. But something changed after
      seven years of work experience. (And they thought the seven-year-itch
      happens only in a marriage.) That's when I noticed I am a woman, and that
      toughens the rules of the game.

      It is certainly different to be a woman in the working world, no matter what
      you heard about hard work, aptitude and patience. I may not be the right
      woman to tell this story. I am not juggling work and family. I am single.
      From filmmaking to ad agencies to TV channels to digital space to news, I
      have dealt with as many suits as jeans-kurta clads or ponytailpiercings
      guys. I don't hold a striking CEO-like designation, though I have been in
      top roles for over six of my 13 years of working.

      My first experience of the differential behaviour felt so awkward that I
      couldn't make sense of it. I had just won my company its biggest ever
      account after two long, difficult months. There was no confusion about who
      had cracked it. I was openly congratulated. There was clapping. An office
      party was called that evening to celebrate the milestone. They forgot to
      invite me. I found out two days later when the male club casually asked me
      why I did not come. Putting my dignity aside, I asked my boss the next day.
      "But you don't drink!" he said.

      I have lost count of how many times I have been asked: "Why do you need so
      much money?" I once met a Page 3 ad guru who passionately espouses women's
      causes. He watched my showreel, appreciated my ideas and work. I quoted my
      expectation. (The gobetween consultant had given me an idea of their
      intent.) "Do clothes and cosmetics cost that much?" he asked me with a
      charming smile. "Surely you have a boyfriend and a father for the rest?"

      Most questions are outrageous.

      "Are you married?"

      "No."

      "Why not?"

      Silence.

      Laugh.

      Silence.

      "You see, women just aren't serious about their career when they get
      married. Next, they want to get pregnant."

      "I believe you are married and have children?" I asked.

      "Yes, and all my wife wants is to take care of the kids."

      I cried on my way back and laughed when I told a friend about it.

      The production controllers and technology geeks I deal with are remarkably
      crude. They carry stereotypes to work, slot women in those boxes. They speak
      about it openly and are genuinely surprised when someone doesn't laugh.
      "That's why I don't keep women in my team," a manager once chided a
      subordinate, who, probably in her first job, felt guilty for being a woman.

      After following up for months with a function head for a task through mails
      and verbal reminders, both of which he ignored, I sternly told him one day
      to deliver. He shot back angrily: "You need to rest your vocal chords." Such
      bullying is standard practice across industry. Every time he was pulled up,
      a production controller would say within my earshot: janaaniyan ghabra jaati
      hain jaldi (women get hyper easily).

      I AM ashamed that I did try once to mix well with men. I wrote an essay for
      a boss' daughter on electronic devices. I have arranged tea-coffee at
      meetings. (I so wish I had refused.) I once held a glass of liquor
      throughout the screening of my corporate film to look the part. I ignored
      sexist jokes (though I could not bring myself to laugh). Nothing helped.

      I may have always topped in school and college, and given paid tuitions to
      my classmates, but this is an entirely different game. Perhaps I am too soft
      or too brash. I doubt if men suffer from such doubts. Men who follow up on
      tasks are called result-oriented, motivated when they stay back in office,
      organised if they leave on time, jovial when they crack jokes, pleasant if
      they mix with juniors. Women are nagging or hyper if they push,
      overambitious if they work long, unreliable if they leave on time, loud if
      they joke, lacking leadership qualities if friendly. It is difficult to
      decide what to wear to work. A woman dressed in a well-trimmed skirt
      resembles more a secretary than a boss. I have often been kept out of board
      meetings, even when my role clearly required my presence. It is very clever:
      give enough so that I engage thoroughly, but a little less than what would
      embolden me to rightfully demand power and position. I learnt long back to
      laugh when others made presentations, I had worked several nights to make.

      Once when I quit a company where I had a strategy role, my boss had this to
      say at my farewell: "Her key strength is that she writes well. Men don't
      have the patience with long sentences and formatting." I have lived through
      a serious, painful experience of sexual harassment. I lost my job to the
      company's COO's innuendoes. Outraged, humiliated, broken, I appealed to him,
      "Your wife works, too. How would you feel if her boss talked like this with
      her?" "Don't bring my wife into it," he shot back, angrier than me. "She is
      a doctor."

      Male friends say a woman should use the power of her smile, the charm of her
      manners, the fascinations of her coquetry. Demeaning as it would be, I doubt
      if even these would help her shatter the glass ceiling. Older and more
      confident, I have now some rules:

      . I have fun with my job. Positive energy surges in me when I 'achieve'
      something.

      . No matter what, I enjoy my work.

      . I ask for the money I deserve.

      . I don't suffer office parties I don't enjoy.

      . I don't care if I am not invited.

      . I stop derogatory jokes.

      . I never try to be 'one of the boys'. It is delightful to be a woman.

      . I am trying to be more forgiving and tolerant. I try to deploy humour.

      Of course, I have had some great bosses who believed in me. Even in my worst
      jobs, I have had male supporters, even if closet. I have had a client who
      moved their contract to me after I quit the agency.

      Maybe someday I will get 'there'. Perhaps that's why, on a day when I am
      brimming with optimism, I pretend to myself that there would be no glass
      ceiling when I rise enough. Maybe I am still in primary school and would get
      to play in the big playground when I grow up enough. Maybe this is what
      keeps so many women going?

      (Sarita Pandey has worked in communications roles for over 13 years in
      online media, advertising agencies, corporate filmmaking and television)

      letters@...

      --
      A. Thiagarajan
      98490 22573