Processed food companies fear health activists

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2013
      From: MD Kini

      **
        Processed Food Manager: ‘Our Biggest Fear is the Health Activists’

      By Anthony Gucciardi

      What keeps processed food producers up at night? Dreaded health activists
      like you and me, with our pesky knack for exposing the GMO-containing
      processed junk that mega corporations have pushed on the public. It may
      come as no surprise to you, but in an open
      interview
      of
      sorts on the massive community website Reddit, one anonymous processed food
      manufacturing manager explained how the *biggest fear of the industry is
      health activists*.

      In a response to a question posed by a user regarding new regulations on
      processed foods, the anonymous manager explained how an *increasing effort
      by consumers to know what’s in their food is the #1 fear of the industry*.
      While the question has to do with calorie contents on the packaging, which
      is drastically less significant than labeling items like GMO labeling (or
      imagine labeling products that contain HFCS), it touches on the subject at
      large. If the mere act of labeling calories and some other minor factors
      troubles the processed food industry, imagine what GMO labeling means for
      their CEOs.

      You can see for yourself the question and response below. The user asks:

      “What’s the inside buzz about posting calorie contents on the outside of
      packages? From what I understand, the industry decided to do this to avoid
      regulation–have consumers responded positively? Are companies afraid of a
      coming health conscious effort?”

      To which the processed food factory manager responds:

      “*Yes, our biggest fear is the health activists*, but then we also need to
      change our paradigms and adapt. We now have one line dedicated to protein
      bars and two others dedicated to fruit and nut based bars.”

      *Health Activism Shaping the Food Industry*

      In other words, *individuals who are reading ingredients and spreading the
      word* about problematic substances typically found inside many junk food
      products are *shaping the very marketplace* when it comes to food
      distribution. Voting with your dollar has always been highly effective, and
      corporations are forced to respond or simply lose revenue streams. It is
      for this reason we have seen companies over the past few years begin
      dropping high-fructose corn syrup and advertising the change on their
      labels.

      We’ve been hitting the processed food industry hard for years, exposing
      everything from the ignored presence of mercury in much of the
      high-fructose
      corn
      syrup supply (which is also *almost* entirely if not completely genetically
      modified) to the affects
      on
      mental
      health.

      It’s been this constant push for quality food met with serious activism and
      sharing by readers of alternative news that has made the difference. This
      push needs to continue of course, but it’s also now important to be sure
      that we *don’t settle for counterfeit ‘health’ products* on the shelves of
      our local grocery and health food stores.

      Always remember to read the ingredients list and look for the organic
      content % on the items that you do buy. It is also especially important to
      watch out for ‘natural’ labels that may mislead you. Natural does not mean
      organic. In fact, it means virtually nothing. ‘Natural’ products can even
      still contain GMOs.

      Our actions are shaping what millions of individuals put into their mouths
      on a daily basis, and stopping the onset of an unknown number of diseases
      and conditions throughout the lifetime of these individuals. The admittance
      from a processed food manufacturer head that we are a real thorn in their
      side that invokes a real feeling of effective change. After all, the last
      thing we want is to be on the side of mega corporations that have zero
      regard for public health and safety.

      This article was published at NationofChange at:
      http://www.nationofchange.org/processed-food-manager-our-biggest-fear-health-activists-1359391006.
      All rights are reserved.

      --
      A. Thiagarajan