How to bring back civility

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2013
      From: karmayog - tanya <info@...>
      Date: Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM

      http://www.indianexpress.com/news/how-to-bring-back-civility/1060273/0

      How to bring back civility
      A holistic moral education will make children responsible citizens who
      respect women

      Satyapal Singh: Thu Jan 17 2013, 03:13 hrs

      In today's society, sensibilities are distorted and emotions have been
      warped to suit one's needs and demands. Indian society, which once
      worshipped woman as the "Giver of Life", now ill-treats, abuses and tortures
      women in the worst manner possible.

      This growing brutality is a sign of the changing times and has more to do
      with what we, as citizens, have come to be now. Thinking about the shameful
      situations the country has faced in the last couple of months - when society
      has been abuzz with the horrific gangrape of a young medical student, apart
      from the innumerable cases of rapes, violence and atrocities towards women -
      it is time for people, as a civilised society and responsible citizens, to
      ponder the reasons that make perpetrators think and channel their negative
      emotions towards somebody who struggles hard to save herself and her honour.

      While much is said about gender sensitisation, sex education, stricter laws,
      police measures and self-defence education, one wonders what should be the
      starting point, the inception of the said education. While one cannot stop
      atrocities against women one fine day or make people understand that women
      are not commodities, the stress should come from within society, from our
      lives, from our homes and, more importantly, from deep within ourselves.

      While the impressionable mind of a child learns by replicating the actions
      he sees in his vicinity, it is the ill-treatment of women that makes him
      disrespectful towards women. As is known, the most important cog of learning
      a person receives is at home. So the need of the hour is to impart holistic
      emotions to children in our society on how to treat and respect women.

      For society to imbibe a holistic moral education is the need of the hour,
      and one should take it upon oneself to see that children are taught, and
      taught well. As parents, the first thing that citizens should do is educate
      their children to differentiate between a good touch and a bad touch and be
      vocal about it. Educating children on moral sensibilities, whereby women are
      to be treated as equals, should also be made the topmost priority in every
      household. Regarding sex education, at what age and stage it should be
      imparted must be debated and decided by policy planners, educationists,
      sociologists and other experts in the field.

      It is our duty as a society and as parents to bring about a greater
      understanding in our children to help them offer utmost respect to women -
      whether they are familiar or strangers. It is time to bring back civility,
      and to do it, our children need to be inculcated with specific moral
      education.

      With a revolution of sorts hitting Indian society today, with everybody
      being aware of the need for gender sensitisation, it is time now for us as
      citizens of a responsible country to take the onus for educating our
      children, so that no ill-treatment towards women is meted out in future.
      Today, when violence and sexuality are more psychological than physical, it
      becomes our immediate duty to stress more on holistic moral education than
      other modes of understanding in order to create thoughtful citizens of
      tomorrow.

      Satyapal Singh is Commissioner, Mumbai Police

    • Nityanandam
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 18, 2013
        The whole society has to be reeducated in morals,ethics and good manners. only then the country will be better.