Re: Elderly Care

  • Dechamma Banerjee
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2012
      Dear Ms. Thomas- went through the survey questionnaire - it covers
      residential care facilities for seniors in India . Day care programs
      are for seniors who live by them selves and come to the day care for
      recreation, companionship, income generation programs are provided for
      those in the lower socio economic bracket , medical camps/medications
      etc. The services and activities vary according to the economic status
      and needs of the elderly.

      There are Day cares around the country mostly funded by the Govt of
      India under the Integrated Program for Older Persons IPOP by the
      Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment .

      I work as a Consultant for the Nightingales Medical Trust based in
      Bangalore -and am involved in conducting training programs for people
      who run Old Age Homes in South India - 4 Southern States of Karnataka,
      Kerala, A.P. and T.N.

      Nightingales runs a Day care for the low income seniors where a mid
      day meal is provided and income generating activities etc are also
      provided.

      They also have what is called Enrichment Centres for the educated,
      retired group of Seniors.
      You survey questions covers full time residential care and there are
      more than 500 homes funded by Govt of India and a larger number
      privately run.

      There are many Senior Citizen Forums /associations and a few are
      active in Research/documentation etc.

      So have a look at a few sites and if you would like to correspond with
      me, feel free and will try to help as much as i can.

      Best wishes Dechu