A period the parents fear most

  • Thiagarajan
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2012
      S. SANDEEP KUMAR

      http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Hyderabad/a-period-the-parents-fear-most/article4180803.ece

      While, admissions in international schools range from Rs. 5 to Rs.18 lakh per annum, including food, transportation and books, others charge about Rs.1 lakh to Rs. 1.5 lakh.

      It's December and many private schools in the city are abuzz with admission activity for 2013-14 academic year. While, admissions for playgroups, kindergarten and other classes in many schools are on the verge of completion, some managements have already completed their admission process.

      Cashing in on the desperation of parents to join their wards in top schools, managements are flouting rules at will. Many of them are conducting entrance exams and interviews to shortlist students for admission despite the norms against such tests.

      At receiving end

      Amidst this, it is the parents, who are at the receiving end, especially whose wards are born between October and November months as the child needs to complete three and half years at the time of admission.

      A number of parents allege that managements do not issue application forms for such children. For the fear of losing an academic year, many parents either produce fake birth certificates or pay exorbitant donations, B.V. Ramesh Naidu, president of Twin Cities School Students and Parents Association.

      Right from student's age, syllabus, fees etc, school managements enact different rules for admissions.

      Many of them have even advertised in different media inviting applications for admissions, yet the district education authorities turn a blind eye to this illegal practice, fumes Mr. Naidu.

      Though a few managements have already announced completion of admissions, parents line up at different schools to collect applications forms from 8.30 a.m. to 12 noon.

      Hefty charges

      Depending on the category and infrastructure, managements collect hefty charges from parents.

      While, admissions in international schools range from Rs. 5 to Rs.18 lakh per annum, including food, transportation and books, others charge about Rs.1 lakh to Rs. 1.5 lakh. If not, one needs to have a recommendation from top politicians and bureaucrats, he explains.

      It is not just private schools, even those which are operated by trusts and education societies are also demanding hefty admission fee, says Abdul Wajid, organising secretary of Andhra Pradesh Parents Association Coordination Committee

      Donations

      Though many parents are aware that it is illegal to pay donations or seek admission in December, they have no choice but to heed to school managements demands.

      Authorities should conduct special drives to curb this practice, says Mr. Wajid.
    • kalpax1963
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2012
        Nice article. But can we go back to see who nurtures the coming up of these fancy schools. in the name of international. IGSCE,IB etc. the parents themselves. status symbols and wanting their child to be in elite circle. so what are we lamenting about now.
        I am a teacher and not a day passes that i don't wonder about the Indian education system present and past. what a change for the worst.
        gone are the traditional schools which brought about personality developments, etiquette, values and discipline. today schools are commercial so the teacher is just a puppet in the hands of the fees payers. no student today wishes a teacher who does not teach them. few teachers are seen grooming the child in behavior and values for fear of losing job and getting a memo. so then what is an institution for? can anyone answer this. if it is just learning then distance education is good enough.
        the other cult is the coaching centers?
        who brought about that
        parents who lost trust in teachers
        weren't ester year students not cracking IIT and IIM without these coaching centers so why have we a dime a dozen of them now. pushy parents. high expectations and unrealistic dreams.
        so its like cleaning up the entire corruption in India. all that one can do is trust child's intellect . educate him in a school you can afford, don't be victimized by society .
        lastly child who studies will study anywhere, that's what we have learnt form Einstein , Edison and several others .they did not study in fancy schools

        --- In karmayog-hyd@yahoogroups.com, "Thiagarajan" <thiagarajan.arunachalam@...> wrote:

        > S. SANDEEP KUMAR
        >
        > http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Hyderabad/a-period-the-parents-fear-most/article4180803.ece
        >
        > While, admissions in international schools range from Rs. 5 to Rs.18 lakh per annum, including food, transportation and books, others charge about Rs.1 lakh to Rs. 1.5 lakh.
        >
        > It's December and many private schools in the city are abuzz with admission activity for 2013-14 academic year. While, admissions for playgroups, kindergarten and other classes in many schools are on the verge of completion, some managements have already completed their admission process.
        >
        > Cashing in on the desperation of parents to join their wards in top schools, managements are flouting rules at will. Many of them are conducting entrance exams and interviews to shortlist students for admission despite the norms against such tests.
        >
        > At receiving end
        >
        > Amidst this, it is the parents, who are at the receiving end, especially whose wards are born between October and November months as the child needs to complete three and half years at the time of admission.
        >
        > A number of parents allege that managements do not issue application forms for such children. For the fear of losing an academic year, many parents either produce fake birth certificates or pay exorbitant donations, B.V. Ramesh Naidu, president of Twin Cities School Students and Parents Association.
        >
        > Right from student's age, syllabus, fees etc, school managements enact different rules for admissions.
        >
        > Many of them have even advertised in different media inviting applications for admissions, yet the district education authorities turn a blind eye to this illegal practice, fumes Mr. Naidu.
        >
        > Though a few managements have already announced completion of admissions, parents line up at different schools to collect applications forms from 8.30 a.m. to 12 noon.
        >
        > Hefty charges
        >
        > Depending on the category and infrastructure, managements collect hefty charges from parents.
        >
        > While, admissions in international schools range from Rs. 5 to Rs.18 lakh per annum, including food, transportation and books, others charge about Rs.1 lakh to Rs. 1.5 lakh. If not, one needs to have a recommendation from top politicians and bureaucrats, he explains.
        >
        > It is not just private schools, even those which are operated by trusts and education societies are also demanding hefty admission fee, says Abdul Wajid, organising secretary of Andhra Pradesh Parents Association Coordination Committee
        >
        > Donations
        >
        > Though many parents are aware that it is illegal to pay donations or seek admission in December, they have no choice but to heed to school managements demands.
        >
        > Authorities should conduct special drives to curb this practice, says Mr. Wajid.

      • Nityanandam Veluri
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012
          Every thing goew by the money you can spend.!!!!