Hyundai India inducts 100 students in 'Student Traffic Volunteers Scholarship'

  • thiagarajan.arunachalam
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6 3:37 AM
      Hyundai India inducts 100 new students in 'Student Traffic Volunteers Scholarship Scheme' in New Delhi
      100-new-students-taking-Oath

      http://www.karmayog.org/redirect/strred.asp?docId=25551

      In its attempt to make the Delhi roads much safer for the use of motorists and pedestrians, Hyundai Motor India Limited has inducted 100 new students for the fourth batch of the Student Traffic Squad at a ceremony organised in New Delhi. An oath to help maintain traffic safety and order on Delhi's roads was administered to all the students in the presence of Hon'ble Lt. Governor of Delhi Mr. Tejendra Khanna, Y. S. Dadwal, IPS, Commissioner of Police, S.N. Shrivastava, IPS, Jt. Commissioner Police (Traffic) and Dr. Rohit Baluja, President IRTE as well as senior officers of the Delhi Police.

      On the occasion, H.S. Lheem, MD, Hyundai Motor India Ltd said, '' At Hyundai we are committed to the cause of road safety and this is our main motivation for sustaining this scheme. We strongly believe that the students will be the agents of change to instill safer traffic habits and usher in a new era of disciplined traffic movement. In the past also, the Hyundai Traffic Squad has contributed significantly in easing out traffic bottlenecks at major intersections. Now with Commonwealth Games around the corner the Student Traffic Squad will further help manage the traffic inflow along with the Delhi Traffic Police. Moreover, this is also an opportunity for the young people to get involved in the management of their city. I believe it is a programme which will benefit everybody concerned – the participants, Delhi Police and the road users of Delhi."

      Rohit Baluja, IRTE president, commented, "IRTE is proud to be associated with Hyundai and the Delhi Traffic police in their continued and concerted efforts in creating a positive attitude among the people towards safe road user culture. At IRTE, we attempt to analyse and study road behaviour and try and come out with solutions which will help in better traffic management. We believe that this association will further help us implement these solutions and contribute to the better management of our roads."

      Supported by Hyundai Motor India Ltd., the Student Traffic Volunteers Scholarship Scheme, (STVS) has been jointly conceptualised by Institute of Road Traffic Education (IRTE) and the Traffic Police with the sole aim of helping the traffic police force to manage and improve the traffic conditions in the cities of Chennai, Kolkata and Delhi. The Student Traffic Squad comprises of 100 students each in the city of Delhi, Chennai and Kolkata. Hyundai now plans to take up the initiative in other cities like Hyderabad, Mumbai & Bangalore.

      Through the STVS, the student representatives would assist the traffic police during the peak hours in traffic management and impart road user education. Their activities would ensure smooth flow of traffic at important intersections, helping pedestrians and senior citizens.

      Hyundai Motor India supports this initiative financially by giving out stipends to all the student volunteers who are selected after a rigorous screening process by a panel of experts. This year, a total of 400 candidates applied out of which 100 worthy candidates have been selected. Out of these 100 people, there are 15 girl students who will also take equal part in helping the Delhi Traffic Police. After they are selected they are given an extensive training in traffic management, public dealing and traffic drill by IRTE & DTP which prepares them for this job.