Blog Post on Education

  • Chandni Parekh
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2009

      http://www.deeshaa.org/2009/05/25/keeping-afloat-in-a-www-world/

      Excerpts:

      Kids are pretty much forced to do school related activities nearly 14 hours of the day. They go to school for classes, and then go to “tuitions,” and then come back to get homework done, and . . . By the time they are done for the day, they have had no free time. They don’t have time ever to just sit and stare. There is no time for self-reflection. They are becoming narrowly focussed and self-absorbed through all the constant doing of required things.

      The textbooks are horrors.

      The kid was struggling with “effect of expansionist monetary policy on aggregate demand” or some such nonsense. Dear god in heaven. What the hell was wrong with these idiots who try to teach macro to 14-year olds? I read the relevant pages and I could not make too much sense of it. The kid of course was so out of his depths that he didn’t know even the most basic of concepts, forget “aggregate demand.” I asked him to explain to me what a demand curve was and got a look of helplessness and worry. He tried in vain to recall from memory some definition of a demand curve.

      Schools are turning the kids into uninteresting and uninterested people. Their learning so shallow that it all evaporates at the slightest disturbance. In all the furious teaching, what is lost is learning.

      What’s the way out? I think there’s a need for a “back to the basics movement.” One of the things that needs to be done is to reduce the amount that is force-fed to the kids. It may appear paradoxical but I believe that school curricula have become obscenely obese.