destitute couple

  • Prabha Panth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2009
      Karmayog Hyderabad & Secunderabad
      Dear Friends,
      Thank you for your response. I tried Aasara of GHMC - but none of the phone numbers could be contacted, not even the toll free number! Anyway I have sent emails to three of the members - Mr. Singh, Ms. Shiva Paravathi, and Mr. Srinivas.
      I appreciate your quick response and will contact you with more details.
      Sincerely,
      Prabha Panth
      to the Class of 2009, University of Portland, May 3, 2009

      Excerpts:

      When I was invited to give this speech, I was asked if I could give a simple
      short talk that was "direct, naked, taut, honest, passionate, lean,
      shivering, startling, and graceful." Boy, no pressure there.

      What I see everywhere in the world are ordinary people willing to confront
      despair, power, and incalculable odds in order to restore some semblance of
      grace, justice, and beauty to this world. The poet Adrienne Rich wrote, "So
      much has been destroyed I have cast my lot with those who, age after age,
      perversely, with no extraordinary power, reconstitute the world." There
      could be no better description. Humanity is coalescing. It is reconstituting
      the world, and the action is taking place in schoolrooms, farms, jungles,
      villages, campuses, companies, refuge camps, deserts, fisheries, and slums.

      You join a multitude of caring people. No one knows how many groups and
      organizations are working on the most salient issues of our day: climate
      change, poverty, deforestation, peace, water, hunger, conservation, human
      rights, and more. This is the largest movement the world has ever seen.
      Rather than control, it seeks connection.

      http://globalmindsh ift.wordpress. com/2009/ 05/21/the- unforgettable- commencement- address-by- paul-hawken- to-the-class- of-2009-universi ty-of-portland- may-3-2009/

      Messages in this topic (1)
      3. Current US interest in India's agriculture requires scrutiny
      Posted by: "thiagarajan. arunachalam" thiagarajan. arunachalam@ yahoo.com thiagarajan. arunachalam
      Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:58 am (PDT)

      Current US interest in India's agriculture requires scrutiny
      Posted by: "karmayog - tanya" info@karmayog. org
      Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:19 am (PDT)

      Seed of the crisis...... ..Kavitha Kuruganti

      The current US interest in India's agriculture industry requires scrutiny

      The US and India are back at it again. This time around, it is not the spectre of a looming famine in Bihar that is expected to kill thousands through starvation but global hunger and malnutrition, for which India and USA will collaborate to provide leadership in agriculture to raise crop yields.
      Never mind that India has record buffer stocks of food grains right now and still more people sleep hungry in India than ever before and that India ranks 66th on the Global Hunger Index for 88 countries. Never mind that intensive agriculture models led to more farmers killing themselves than the projected numbers of starvation before the Green Revolution was ushered in or that Punjab for example, the seat of the Green Revolution in India, is reeling under a severe environmental health crisis quite closely connected to agricultural technologies deployed in the name of increasing yields.

      The first time around, they said that they were trying to get away from the ship to mouth existence that is being imposed by the Americans on us through PL 480 food aid programmes -- and whose help did they take to get away from the American intrusions? The Americans themselves!

      It is interesting to see how American leaders make it a point to include agriculture into their agenda during their India visits. George W Bush decided to stop over at the agriculture university in Hyderabad and Hillary Clinton at the Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Pusa. For a country which has only 1.9 per cent of its labour force working in agriculture and a mere 0.7 per cent of total GDP contributed by agriculture (2002), why this American interest in Indian agriculture?

      The answer possibly lies in potential huge markets held in the seeds and food processing sectors. In India, this market is emerging in an impressive fashion. In the global seed market estimated at $30 bn, India already has a large market worth $1 bn. The domestic seed market, especially of hybrid seeds, is expected to grow at an impressive growth rate of 13 per cent at least. In the food processing and retail sector, the Indian urban food market is expected to form a major chunk of the $50-bn-mark retail market in India in the near future.

      Clinton's speech at Pusa Institute made a clear mention of seeds and food processing as the sectors where investment will go. Interestingly, the second green revolution in this country, with the help of the Indo-US Knowledge Initiative on Agriculture (KIA) is supposed to be ushered in under the guidance of corporations like Monsanto and Wal-Mart which are on the KIA board. How investment on food processing would increase productivity of our food grains is an unanswered question, of course.

      There is also mention of "cutting edge technologies" to raise crop yields and Clinton affirmed with authority that crop productivity was the 'root' of the problem of world hunger. No mention at all of food lands going for bio-fuels, no mention about food grains being used for cattle feed and building inefficient food chains, no mention of the shocking wastage of food in the developed world not at the grain level but of processed foods, which would have already consumed much energy in their processing and packaging. Nor any mention of overflowing granaries in India continuing to mock at the poor in the country who cannot access such food.

      While Clinton is reported to have avoided the use of "GM" as the frontier technology, given the vast controversy over it, our agriculture minister was more forthright. He opined that collaboration in frontier areas like biotechnology would make a significant contribution to the world!

      What our leaders don't seem to realise is that there are vast differences not just in conditions of farming in the USA and in India but in the very philosophies and outlook towards agriculture. India for instance opposes patents on life forms in international forums while the USA and its corporations seek to patent everything that they can.The rigid patent regimes in the USA have led to hundreds of farmers sued and/or jailed for doing something that they have done for millennia -- saving their seed! Who is India listening to, on world hunger and the way out?

      It would be extremely unwise for our leaders to provide ready platforms and markets for profit-hungry US corporations in the name of food crisis, world hunger, second green revolution and climate change. If the government is keen on tackling the food crisis, it would do well to evolve a deeper understanding of both food production and access related issues, take up a comprehensive analysis of the Green Revolution and then chart out an Indian course of action. In this hundredth year of "Hind Swaraj", our modern day leaders would do well to revisit Gandhiji's vision.

      Messages in this topic (1)
      4. NPO21020. USHA , Kurnool,Andhra Pradesh
      Posted by: "karmayog" info@karmayog. org
      Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:43 am (PDT)

      USHA EDUCATIONAL AND DEVELOPMENT SOCIETY has registered as http://www.karmayog .org/ngo/ USHA

      Name of Organisation : USHA EDUCATIONAL AND DEVELOPMENT SOCIETY
      Short name of org : USHA
      State : Andhra Pradesh
      City : Kurnool
      Building : 80/85
      Landmark, if any : ADITYA NAGAR
      Road : OPP.I.T.C
      Area : KURNOOL
      Pin : 518002
      Phone Number : 9959250456
      Best time to call : 9am-6am
      Email 1 : govardhan.ch@ yahoomail. com
      Category 1 : Agriculture
      Category 2 : Institution
      Category 3 : Health - Yoga
      Main trustee : C.H. GOVARDAN
      Geographical Reach : AP
      Brief Note : CHARITABLE ORGANISATION WORKING FOR POOR ON AGRICULTURE, HEALTH ACTIVES
      Contact Details
      Name : Mr. C.H.GOVARDAN
      Phone Work / Time to call : PRESIDENT 9am-6pm
      Phone Cell / Time to call : 9959250456 9am-6pm
      Email Personal : govardhan.ch@ yahoomail. com

      Messages in this topic (1)
      5. Sageing: The art of ageing well Posted by: "karmayog - tanya" info@k
      Posted by: "thiagarajan. arunachalam" thiagarajan. arunachalam@ yahoo.com thiagarajan. arunachalam
      Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:39 pm (PDT)

      Sageing: The art of ageing well
      Posted by: "karmayog - tanya" info@karmayog. org
      Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:01 am (PDT)

      Growing older can be an art ........MARGUERITE THEOPHIL

      AS I reach fifty-five, one of the 'slowing-down' changes I notice in myself - besides the fact that just walking and not running up three flights of stairs gets me breathless - is that in a bookstore these days I also slow down in front of books about getting older.

      I pause briefly before Biology of Aging: Natural Ageing Revolution, then move on to the funnier titles like Ageing Disgracefully, and Over the Hill, You Pick Up Speed; I wonder if the humour in these helps us face this time more easily. Some more browsing later, I actually end up buying From Ageing to Sageing by Zalman Schachter-Shalomi and The Second Half of Life: Opening the Eight Gates of Wisdom by Angeles Arrien.

      The onset of ageing is so sneaky and gradual; we are often surprised to find one day it is right here. Then we are faced with three choices - feel resigned to it, get horribly depressed, or welcome it as a chance to re-design our lives. The re-design thing can be as small or as big as we choose - as long as we are the ones doing it.

      Growing older, we need reminding, is not a disease, but can be an art, bringing surprising blessings if practiced well. We are delighted that consciously caring for ourselves focuses the mind as well as the body's energies, leading to new freedoms, expressions of creativity and spiritual intensity. In indigenous cultures, elders were honoured and cherished for the precious resources they brought to the community. Yet most cultures' current perspective is that this stage offers only decline, disease, despair. However, this is seen by Arrien as "the ultimate initiation", when, if open and aware, we encounter moments reminding us "we are a sacred mystery made manifest," enjoying limitless possibilities to restore and renew ourselves.

      Rabbi Schachter-Shalomi stops us short with the funny-but-true reminder that this special time is not given to everyone! He proposes a new model of conscious aging, called 'sage-ing', a time to let go of all we've outgrown and become "wisdom keepers", acting as guides, mentors, and agents of healing and reconciliation on behalf of the planet, nation, tribe, clan, and family.

      Conscious aging requires us to find both reflective and practical ways to remind ourselves of our intention to remain awake, alert and aware as we grow older; so it isn't really quick or easy. But we know it is a spiritual practice that involves finding and living out of that part of ourselves that is essentially timeless.

      Messages in this topic (1)
      6a. Re: Financial help needed to Mr.Sabbithi Vinay has been selected to
      Posted by: "Radhika_VK" radhika@vatsalyakut eer.org
      Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:01 pm (PDT)

      Just think if CPCB can give him support- Central pollution control board or
      A.P.Pollution control board?

      Please understand that this info is not to discourage the donors/ donating
      organizations, but also as a united social group we can represent his case
      to the board by making them realize their primary responsibility.

      Thanks,

      Radhika

      Vatsalya Kuteer

      _____