Learning Tranquility at Stanford

  • Thiagarajan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2011
      Learning Tranquility at Stanford
      Posted by: "karmayog" info@...
      Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:33 am (PST)

      November 30, 2011
      a project of CharityFocus

      When I am happy, I see the happiness in others. When I am depressed, I notice that people's eyes look sad. When I am weary, I see the world as boring and unattractive.

      - Steve Chandler -
      Learning Tranquility at Stanford
      Sixty-four Stanford students escape from the campus hustle and find tranquility for two hours a week in the lower level of a campus library. There, they might start class by telling the person next to them about a positive experience from the day, or by updating their gratitude journals. Or, they might simply close their eyes and sit silently, concentrating on relaxing tense muscles and breathing deeply. "These students are stressed," course instructor Fred Luskin says. "They're all high achievers, but they don't know how to turn that drive off. The consequences are exhaustion, a sense of feeling older than your peers, and lack of relationships. This class helps them learn they can be productive without the wear and tear." Students have often described this popular course as their "most valuable class". http://www.dailygood.org/more.php?n=4811

      Submitted by: Sheela U.
      Be The Change
      Do an action suggested in the Stanford course -- make a habit of sharing the highlights of your day with someone close to you.

      DailyGood is a volunteer-run initiative that delivers "good news" to 110,709 subscribers.