The Gandhi Font - in Devanagari & English - by Leo Burnett

  • Thiagarajan
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2011
      The Gandhi Font - in Devanagari & English - by Leo Burnett
      Posted by: "karmayog - tanya" info@...
      Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:58 pm (PST)

      The Gandhi Font

      By KV "Pops" Sridhar

      "There is no god higher than truth," is what he said, and were imprinted in
      my mind ever since I was a little boy and my grandparents told me stories of
      Gandhi at bedtime. I am still a vegetarian thanks to the impression he made
      on me. I am just a spec in billions who follow him. Once he said, "Whatever
      you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it."

      His glasses has a deep significance to all Indians. When he gave away the
      glasses in 1930's to an army colonel, he said, "these gave me vision to free
      India." Today, as we live in a free India, we still are slaves to violence,
      terrorism, untouchability, communalism and many more evils. A young nation
      celebrates holiday on his birthday - and his wisdom, as Nitesh Tiwari, one
      of our copywriters, put it.

      How do we make the man and his vision relevant? And how do we make people
      try to see the world through his eyes? The idea of a typeface created out of
      his glasses came about.

      Typographers from Leo Burnett went on to create this marvelous Gandhiji font
      in Devanagari and English. The website recently went live at

      What's a better way to keep Gandhi's spectacles away from auctioneers than