Reasons for low voting turnout
- Reasons for low voting turnout
Posted by: "karmayog" info@...
Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:32 am (PDT)
1. Names of many dead people are still on the voting lists.
2. Many youngsters who would have voted were not on the voting lists.
3. Many recent residents who may have voted were not on the voting lists.
4. On the other hand, those who have moved away, their names were still on the lists. Also those who have moved to other areas in the same city.
5. Long waiting time to vote -- over an hour in some of the booths in South Mumbai -- so some people went away without voting -- which is a shame because they got the whole day off for voting.
6. Some elderly don't come to vote -- because they are not aware that there would be adequate arrangements for them e.g. for sitting while waiting.
7. Some were not aware that they have to get an Identity Card and thus were turned away.
8. Wrong day -- got combined to make it a long weekend --- the E.C. should seriously frame rules.
9. No worthwhile candidates -- this was a big reason I think -- maybe an effective 49 (0) would resolve this.
10 ...... ??