Re: complacency

  • SGC Enterprises
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2010
      Dear Friends  /Halldor in particular ,

      Where have we moved on from here ?
      well governance on gets is what one deserves !
      it also reflect the majority thought process which need not necessarily be the right and correct one ..much contrary to the Westernised  approach of majority dominates  ..in decision making /product service success definitions /democracy ..etc etc ..without ensuring that the basic ground conditions are in place ..ie a sampling errors /representativeness /Education amongst the masses  etc etc
      making the whole thing a parody !
      thats why i think the approach of karamyoga  from the Hindu vedic literature /geeta  may be the correct answer to todays troubled minds ..

      karmanye vaadhika raste ,maa phaleshu kadachana
      maa karma phalhethur bhooma  mate sangostwakarmini ...

      do your karma/duty without
      having an eye on the fruits of the same when the deeds are right the results that follow will also be similar ..

      These actions should be done while keeping in mind these seven social sins  to be guarded against in all our acts  :

      • Knowledge without character
      • Pleasure without conscience
      • Politics without principles
      • Commerce without morality
      • Wealth without work
      • Science without humanity
      • Worship  without Sacrifice

      On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Halldor Gislason <dori@...> wrote:

      I do not comment on his argumentation. It is surely true and many issues are the same here in Mozambique (a half Cuban one party state).

      What interests me is complacency.

      I have encountered this in states of very different economic standings, from Norway to Mozambique. What has really worried me is that politicians that promote hard-core capitalism use complacency as one of the fundamental arguments against social governance: Soviet Union, Cuba, Sweden, Norway. And I have trouble in partly agreeing with them.

      It is against my beliefs in human nature that capitalistic competition is the only way to support progress against conservatism (either historical conservatism or social state conservatism).

      Since it is my job as a designer to belief in the future and to project future scenarios I have to promote progress in some form or other, and it is our task to develop other motivational arguments than free for all Friedman type capitalistic progress being the 'only way'.

      All suggestions are appreciated.

      Dori

      http://www.dorigislason.com/
      http://www.nordicdogs.com/
      Halldor Gislason.
      dori@...

      Date: Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 12:38 AM
      Subject: Reflections on India by Sean-Paul Kelley

       <http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/3384491131/> And People
      Wonder Why The Lights Go Out In Delhi So Often?If you are Indian, or of
      Indian descent, I must preface this post with a clear warning: you are
      not going to like what I have to say. My criticisms may be very hard to
      stomach. But consider them as the hard words and loving advice of a good
      friend. Someone who's being honest with you and wants nothing from you.
      These criticisms apply to all of India except Kerala and the places I
      didn't visit, except that I have a feeling it applies to all of India,
      except as I mentioned before, Kerala. Lastly, before anyone accuses me
      of Western Cultural Imperialism, let me say this: if this is what India
      and Indians want, then hey, who am I to tell them differently. Take what
      you like and leave the rest. In the end it doesn't really matter, as I
      get the sense that Indians, at least many upper class Indians, don't
      seem to care and the lower classes just don't know any better, what with
      Indian culture being so intense and pervasive on the sub-continent. But
      here goes, nonetheless.
      India is a mess. It's that simple, but it's also quite complicated. I'll
      start with what I think are India's four major problems-the four most
      preventing India from becoming a developing nation-and then move to some
      of the ancillary ones.
      First, pollution. In my opinion the filth, squalor and all around
      pollution indicates a marked lack of respect for India by Indians. I
      don't know how cultural the filth is, but it's really beyond anything I
      have ever encountered. At times the smells, trash, refuse and excrement
      are like a garbage dump.
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/3367247343/in/set-721576155
      22724529/>  Right next door to the Taj Mahal was a pile of trash that
      smelled so bad, was so foul as to almost ruin the entire Taj experience.
      Delhi, Bangalore and Chennai to a lesser degree were so very polluted as
      to make me physically ill. Sinus infections, ear infection, bowels
      churning was an all to common experience in India. Dung, be it goat, cow
      or human fecal matter was common on the streets. In major tourist areas
      filth was everywhere, littering the sidewalks,
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/3290875782/in/set-721576135
      70824541/>  the roadways, you name it. Toilets in the middle of the
      road, men urinating and defecating anywhere, in broad daylight. Whole
      villages are plastic bag wastelands. Roadsides are choked by it. Air
      quality that can hardly be called quality.
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/3318757405/in/set-721576141
      57768971/>  Far too much coal and far to few unleaded vehicles on the
      road. The measure should be how dangerous the air is for one's health,
      not how good it is. People casually throw trash in the streets, on the
      roads. The only two cities that could be considered sanitary in my
      journey were Trivandrum-the capital of Kerala-and Calicut. I don't know
      why this is. But I can assure you that at some point this pollution will
      cut into India's productivity, if it already hasn't. The pollution will
      hobble India's growth path, if that indeed is what the country wants.
      (Which I personally doubt, as India is far too conservative a country,
      in the small 'c' sense.)
      The second issue, infrastructure, can be divided into four
      subcategories: roads, rails and ports and the electrical grid. The
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/3384491131/>  electrical
      grid is a joke. Load shedding is all too common, everywhere in India.
      Wide swaths of the country spend much of the day without the electricity
      they actually pay for. With out regular electricity, productivity,
      again, falls. The ports are a joke. Antiquated, out of date, hardly even
      appropriate for the mechanized world of container ports, more in line
      with the days of longshoremen and the like. Roads are an equal disaster.
      I only saw one elevated highway that would be considered decent in
      Thailand, much less Western Europe or America. And I covered fully two
      thirds of the country during my visit. There are so few dual carriage
      way roads as to be laughable. There are no traffic laws to speak of, and
      if there are, they are rarely obeyed, much less enforced. A drive that
      should take an hour takes three. A drive that should take three takes
      nine. The buses are at least thirty years old,
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/3244117180/in/set-721576132
      25761950/>  if not older.
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/3257593267/in/set-721576132
      25761950/>  Everyone in India, or who travels in India raves about the
      railway system. Rubbish. It's awful. Now, when I was there in 2003 and
      then late 2004 it was decent. But in the last five years the traffic on
      the rails has grown so quickly that once again, it is threatening
      productivity. Waiting in line just to ask a question now takes thirty
      minutes. Routes are routinely sold out three and four days in advance
      now, leaving travelers stranded with little option except to take the
      decrepit and dangerous buses. At least fifty million people use the
      trains a day in India. 50 million people! Not surprising that waitlists
      of 500 or more people are common now. The rails are affordable and
      comprehensive but they are overcrowded and what with budget airlines
      popping up in India like Sadhus in an ashram the middle and lowers
      classes are left to deal with the overutilized rails and quality
      suffers. No one seems to give a shit. Seriously, I just never have the
      impression that the Indian government really cares. Too interested in
      buying weapons from Russia, Israel and the US I guess.
      The last major problem in India is an old problem and can be divided
      into two parts that've been two sides of the same coin since government
      was invented: bureaucracy and corruption. It take triplicates to
      register into a hotel. To get a SIM card for one's phone is like wading
      into a jungle of red-tape and photocopies one is not likely to emerge
      from in a good mood, much less satisfied with customer service. Getting
      train tickets is a terrible ordeal, first you have to find the train
      number, which takes 30 minutes, then you have to fill in the form, which
      is far from easy, then you have to wait in line to try and make a
      reservation, which takes 30 minutes at least and if you made a single
      mistake on the form back you go to the end of the queue, or what passes
      for a queue in India. The government is notoriously uninterested in the
      problems of the commoners, too busy fleecing the rich, or trying to get
      rich themselves in some way shape or form. Take the trash for example,
      civil rubbish collection authorities are too busy taking kickbacks from
      the wealthy to keep their areas clean that they don't have the time,
      manpower, money or interest in doing their job. Rural hospitals are
      perennially understaffed as doctors pocket the fees the government pays
      them, never show up at the rural hospitals and practice in the cities
      instead.
      I could go on for quite some time about my perception of India and its
      problems, but in all seriousness, I don't think anyone in India really
      cares. And that, to me, is the biggest problem. India is too
      conservative a society to want to change in any way. Mumbai, India's
      financial capital is about as filthy, polluted and poor as the worst
      city imaginable in Vietnam, or Indonesia-and being more polluted than
      Medan, in Sumatra is no easy task. The biggest rats I have ever seen
      were in Medan!
      One would expect a certain amount of, yes, I am going to use this word,
      backwardness, in a country that hasn't produced so many Nobel Laureates,
      nuclear physicists, imminent economists and entrepreneurs. But India has
      all these things and what have they brought back to India with them?
      Nothing. The rich still have their servants, the lower castes are still
      there to do the dirty work and so the country remains in stasis. It's a
      shame. Indians and India have many wonderful things to offer the world,
      but I'm far from sanguine that India will amount to much in my lifetime.
      Now, have at it, call me a cultural imperialist, a spoiled child of the
      West and all that. But remember, I've been there. I've done it. And I've
      seen 50 other countries on this planet and none, not even Ethiopia, have
      as long and gargantuan a laundry list of problems as India does. And the
      bottom line is, I don't think India really cares. Too complacent and too
      conservative.

      Sean-Paul Kelley

      I lived in San Antonio most of my life, not counting the three muggy
      years in Houston while studying at the University of Houston, but
      consider Austin, Texas home now.   Oh yeah, and there was that one year
      I was an English teacher in Seoul, South Korea, not to mention time
      spent in Istanbul, a city I miss more and more each day.  Between then
      and now I worked for Morgan Stanley <http://morganstanley.com/>  in
      asset management for 11 years and in sales for Solar Winds
      <http://solarwinds.com/> software, based out of Austin for a year and
      then was shipped off to Singapore.

      Warm regards ,

      Sanjay Gadhalay
      Managing Consultant and COO
      SGC Enterprises
      skype & IM(yahoo)   :sg_europe_de

      http://www.linkedin.com/in/sgcenterprises

      Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. Courage is what counts.
          -Sir Winston Churchill
      Addresses and contact details :
      71 AWHO Colony Sector A  , Secunderabad .India  500009
      Mobile: +(91)98494 54569      Telefax: +(91) 40 27842607     Email: sgadhalay@... & sgc.enterprises.ind@...