footpaths - cycles - diabetes

  • rammohan prattipati
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2009

      A professor in his 50s working in University of Victoria BC Canada who sat by my side in a one day workshop on water efficiency in Seattle USA last year has told me that he goes to work everytime on bycycle covering a distance of 17 miles just one way come rain or shine or snow. When it comes to physical fitness (outdoor activities) and environment there is a lot we Indians can learn and get inspired especially from Canadians, Australians and Europeans. No wonder their environmental quality (leaving aside exceptions) is over a thousand times better than what we have to live with here. We seem to be suffering too much from false prestige and physical inactivity and associated ill health. India is set to occupy number one position in the world if not already done so with Diabetes patients. Absence of walkable footpaths and exclusive cycle lanes in Hyderabad and other major cities in India would very soon make them diabetes concentration camps of the world.

      R P Rammohan  M Tech (IIT B), MBA

      Independent Energy Management Professional

      608, Block 18, Raintreepark, KPHB, Hyderabad-500072 India

      91-40-23851868, 66881868, 91-9440710899, 1 425 996 7316

      www.linkedin.com/in/rprammohan

      rammohanrp@...

      From: prabhu.guptara@ ubs.com

      WASTE TO ENERGY

      Going green is not only a mantra here but also a practice on the 16-acre campus of ACTS Academy of Higher Education in Bangalore. The success story of using renewable energy for lighting the campus is now paving the way for Australian schools to go green.

      A theological institute, the ACTS Academy Campus in Rayasandra, situated 15 km from Koramangala, has made use of light emitting diode (LED) lamps, that are powered by a biogas generator installed in the campus.

      This generator is primarily fed by kitchen wastes to power these LEDs that are used to light up the college exterior, study spaces and the canteen. Impressed by this model, Don Robertson, technical advisor to ACTS who is also working with Mission Australia, is now planning to replicate it in a school in Oz.

      "The institute uses natural energy which helps reduce carbon footprints. The use of biogas, solar and wind together is an important feature of the smart chargers. This has cut power consumption by 80%. We are planning to replicate this project in one school in Australia now, and plan to cover all the schools in the country over the next 12 months. We are currently holding talks with the government in this regard," Robertson said.

      Explaining the contours of the model, RS Hiremath, CEO of Flexitron, an energy saving products manufacturer, who implemented the model in the campus, said that at least 400 kg of kitchen waste from the canteen and nearby hotels are used to generate biogas. The biogas-based electricity generator, with a 7.5KVA installed capacity, generates 15 kilowatt hour (kWh) power.

      Earlier, the ACTS institute had installed a biogas generator to use kitchen waste. This gas was primarily used for cooking in the large kitchen.Later a biogas-based electricity generator set was fitted to use some of this gas to generate power. However, the gas was available only in limited quantities and the generator was operated only for a limited duration, which was not useful.

      Flexitron then studied the campus and introduced smart chargers to enable the complete use of the power generated. "These smart chargers help charge batteries such that energy can be used for up to three days. The system can ensure a seamless link with solar, wind and grid power. The power consumption in the campus has come down from 10 kilowatt (KW) to 1 KW," he said. He added that only 500 sq feet area is required for the biogas plant.

      "The entire model cost about Rs10 to 12 lakh. The LED lights were designed after a lot of research which helped find the right colour and temperature to mimic sodium vapour lamps for optimal 'light contrast ratio', and maximise lumen output. These LEDs have a long operating life, and are among the best available globally today with the best lumen/watt ratio. These custom made LEDs of one to 54 watts are used in a unique electro-luminary combination throughout the campus," said Hiremath.

      He added that the limited time and capacity of the generator output is stored by the smart charger in a sealed lead acid battery to provide lighting for the entire campus through the night, long after the generator is shut down.

      DNA newspaper, Bangalore

      2.

      Inviting inspirational stories to share on Karmayog

      Posted by: "thiagarajan.arunachalam" thiagarajan.arunachalam@...   thiagarajan.arunachalam

      Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:07 am (PST)

      Inviting inspirational stories to share on Karmayog
      Posted by: "karmayog - tanya" info@karmayog. org
      Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:59 am (PST)

      Inviting inspirational stories to share on Karmayog

      We would like to create a new section on Karmayog that would document and
      share stories of inspirational work and people in any field.
      By sharing stories and knowing of others' learnings and experiences, we can
      strenghten our own and each others' work.
      If you have a story or experience that you would like to share, or know of
      people or organisations whose work you feel is inspirational, please send us
      this information at info@karmayog. org

      You can send information in any format that you have available, including
      articles, profiles, videos, interviews, etc.
      We are broadly looking for answers to the following questions: (but you are
      free to send your story in any other format also)

      Suggested questions:

      1. What motivated you to take up this mission?
      2. Where did you start ?
      3. What are the most significant moments of your mission?
      4. What are your future plans?
      5. What has your work taught you?
      6. What are the challenges you still face? How have you learnt to tackle
      this ?
      7. What are the changes you have seen so far?
      8. What changes do you envisage in the future?
      9. What would you like to share with others?

      Do try and write about initiatives that have worked, so that the issue being
      tackled appears solvable through the story, thus inspiring readers to join
      hands and implement a solution to that issue or problem.

      Thanks,

      www.karmayog. org

      3.

      Fw: Re: To complain against obscene, misleading Ads

      Posted by: "Thiagarajan Arunachalam" thiagarajan.arunachalam@...   thiagarajan.arunachalam

      Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:10 am (PST)

      If ASCI wants to do something really concrete, take on this nexus of “Paid News”.

      --
      Regards
      --

      To complain against obscene, misleading Ads
      Posted by: "thiagarajan. arunachalam" thiagarajan. arunachalam@ yahoo.com   thiagarajan. arunachalam

      To complain against obscene, misleading Ads
      Posted by: "karmayog - tanya" info@karmayog. org
      Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:11 am (PST)

      If you think an advertisement is misleading, dishonest or indecent, contact ASCI.

      Phone: 022-23513982
      Email: asci@...
      Post: P.O. Box No. 7939, Mumbai

      The Advertising Standards Council of India
      78, Tardeo Road, Mumbai 400034
      www.ascionline. org

      (Advt. in Pg. 11, Times of India, Mumbai, dt. 29-12-2009)

      4.

      who let the politicians out....

      Posted by: "rachna gupta" torachnagupta@...   torachnagupta

      Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:29 am (PST)

      JAI HIND Vaishnavi Prasad!!

      We are a nation rapidly getting disoriented, looking away from real substance, real values, and rapidly adopting the inane and the superficial. This is getting to be a way of life with more and more of the younger generation. To our disoriented minds, our heroes are not the brave, not the sincere, not the hardworking, not the true and honest. Amazingly the '  filmi ' hero has taken over, the corrupt politician and bureaucrat has become the epitome of succcess and the icon for worship.

      a thought: with regard to the awareness about the armed forces, why dont we have a system where every 16 year old gets to compulsarily train in military/police service for 6 months or a year, not only to ingrain a sense of discipline, but also so that they can appreciate the worth of the soldier.

      5a.

      Happy New Year 2010

      Posted by: "bhaktti desai" bhakttiddesai@...

      Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:26 am (PST)

      *
      **Wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous new year*

      Regards
      Bhaktti D Desai
      9869004019
      5b.

      Re: Happy New Year 2010

      Posted by: "Rajendra Tapadia" rtapadia@...

      Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:43 am (PST)

      Thanks a lot. Wish you all a very happy New year.

      regards,
      raj tapadia

      --
      Regards,
      Raj Tapadia

      (no subject)

      Posted by: "sudheer patibandla" arisepatibandla@...

      Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:29 am (PST)

      Dear All Karmayogies

      I wish you all Happy and Prosperous New Year - 2010

      Sudheer Babu Patibandla,Editor
      Swatchandavaani - A Monthly Ngos News Letter
      Post Box No : 15
      Govt.Polytechnic Post Office
      Vijayawada - 520 008
      Krishna District
      Andhra Pradesh ,+97035 49290 & 0866-2096656

      United we stand - Divided we fall
      Coming together is Beginning
      Keeping together is Progress
      Working together is Success.

      Sudheer Babu Patibandla
      Editor
      Swatchandavaani
      (A State wide NGOS Monthly Telugu News Letter)
      D.No:48-11/8- 5D,Near Krishna Enclave
      Veeramachineni Rangarao Street
      Currency Nagar,Vijayawada- 520 008,
      Krishna District,Andhra pradesh ,South India
      Phone: + 91-97035 49290,80194 39271 ,92954 07002
      Emails:arisepatibandla@ rediffmail. com
      swatchandavaani2009 @...
      7.

      Village women to monitor power complaints in Haryana

      Posted by: "thiagarajan.arunachalam" thiagarajan.arunachalam@...   thiagarajan.arunachalam

      Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:41 am (PST)

      Village women to monitor power complaints in Haryana
      Posted by: "karmayog - tanya" info@karmayog. org
      Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:23 am (PST)

      Village women to monitor power complaints in Haryana..... ...Gautam Dheer

      Haryana's power department has found an easy way to address consumers' electricity- related grievances: women will operate mobile complaint centres in rural areas. They will get Rs 500 per month. The department will also give them mobile phones.

      These women will operate out of their houses. The round-the-clock job will involve registering power complaints, forwarding these to the authorities, updating people on the status of their complaint, and maintaining relevant records. Officials in the department said it will help unemployed women earn sitting at their homes.

      The project has started on a pilot basis in areas falling under the Uttri Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam Limited (UHBVN). The women also have the option of distributing bills in rural areas for which they will be paid Re 1 for per bill distribution.

      At least two women, who are associated with the women literacy group in rural areas, are part of the project in every district.

      Talking to The Indian Express, Meena Sharma, a graduate from village Ghail in Ambala, said though the money was less, it added to her family income. "I also take tuitions. The complaint number keeps on ringing all the time, even during odd hours. I wish the money was more." Meena hasn't opted for bill distribution as it consumes a lot of time and she needs to look after her children.

      UHBVN Ambala division Executive Engineer V K Khurana said, "The idea is to empower women. There's also a plan to have women for meter reading in semi-urban areas."

      Managing Director of UHBVN Vajinder Kumar said, "We have provided them with close-group mobile phones and registers. I feel the money they get is fine."

      Recent Activity
      Visit Your Group
      Yahoo! Groups

      Mom Power

      Community just for Moms

      Join the discussion

      Check out the

      Y! Groups blog

      Stay up to speed

      on all things Groups!

      Group Charity

      Loans that

      change lives

      Kiva.org

      Need to Reply?

      Do forward this email to your friends.

      Karmayog = selfless-service with love gives bliss.

      Donate your books -- see www.karmayog.org/donatebooks

      Discussions are focused on social causes and civic issues in Andhra Pradesh. Your participation and support is critical to improve the situation.

      The Moderator of the group is Thiagarajan Arunachalam based in Secunderabad. All views are of the person / organisation mentioned in the email even if posted by Karmayog. Karmayog is not liable for any content or misrepresentation. Please do your own due diligence.

      Do also see the 80,000+ pages of information in www.karmayog.org .

      - 18500+ NGOs Directory by cause, location & rating
      - "donate books, receive books" campaign
      - resource sections & forums on 350+ social & civic issues
      - CSR ratings of 1000 companies
      - forms to volunteer & to offer services, materials, money
      - forms for complaints & suggestions to Government
      - free websections & templates to display profiles, events & job vacancies & to ask for volunteers, materials, services & funds