Village women to monitor power complaints in Haryana

  • thiagarajan.arunachalam
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2009
      Village women to monitor power complaints in Haryana
      Posted by: "karmayog - tanya" info@...
      Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:23 am (PST)

      Village women to monitor power complaints in Haryana..... ...Gautam Dheer

      Haryana's power department has found an easy way to address consumers' electricity- related grievances: women will operate mobile complaint centres in rural areas. They will get Rs 500 per month. The department will also give them mobile phones.

      These women will operate out of their houses. The round-the-clock job will involve registering power complaints, forwarding these to the authorities, updating people on the status of their complaint, and maintaining relevant records. Officials in the department said it will help unemployed women earn sitting at their homes.

      The project has started on a pilot basis in areas falling under the Uttri Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam Limited (UHBVN). The women also have the option of distributing bills in rural areas for which they will be paid Re 1 for per bill distribution.

      At least two women, who are associated with the women literacy group in rural areas, are part of the project in every district.

      Talking to The Indian Express, Meena Sharma, a graduate from village Ghail in Ambala, said though the money was less, it added to her family income. "I also take tuitions. The complaint number keeps on ringing all the time, even during odd hours. I wish the money was more." Meena hasn't opted for bill distribution as it consumes a lot of time and she needs to look after her children.

      UHBVN Ambala division Executive Engineer V K Khurana said, "The idea is to empower women. There's also a plan to have women for meter reading in semi-urban areas."

      Managing Director of UHBVN Vajinder Kumar said, "We have provided them with close-group mobile phones and registers. I feel the money they get is fine."