Fwd: [karmayog] how our low income students outperform those in coaching classes

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2013

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: karmayog.org
      Date: Sunday, September 29, 2013
      Subject: [karmayog] how our low income students outperform those in coaching classes
      To: karmayog@yahoogroups.com

      About Avanti

      Avanti is a social enterprise set up by IIT alumni in 2010 to provide low-income high-school students a world-class science and math education. Avanti's learning centres have no trained teachers and very little conventional lecturing. In their place, we focus on teaching students how to learn from books, videos and their peers - resources that are more abundant, accessible and consistent in quality. Our pedagogy focuses on Peer Collaboration and has been developed through over 20 years of research by Prof. Eric Mazur's group at Harvard University. You can learn more about our pedagogy hereThis is a video of our classroom in action.

      Over the past year, we have shown that our students outperform the most expensive after-school programs in the country. In 2013, 7 of 17 (40%) students in our pilot batch cleared the IIT JEE placing them in the top 1% of the country. 94% of these students placed in the top 10% in India. What’s incredibly exciting is that our pedagogy allows us to operate at 1/6th the price point of traditional programs and still run a sustainable business. Today, we teach 1000 students across 8 locations in India and help them prepare for college entrance exams.

      Awards and Recognition

      Avanti won the Stanford Social E-Challenge in 2010. We were awarded the Echoing Green and Draper Richards Kaplan Fellowships in 2012 and the Ashoka Fellowship in 2013. We are also supported by the PanIIT Alumni organization and UnLtd India.

      How you can help us

      Every year, we run an extensive outreach process to spread awareness about our program in low-income communities and invite applications. Unlike conventional 'coaching classes', we do not have the marketing budget to spend on expensive newspaper advertisements and other modes of mass publicity. In the past, we've been fortunate to work with several NGOs who encourage students and families in their network to apply to our program. For example, in Mumbai, Akanksha, Udaan Foundation and Teach for India have provided us invaluable support over the years. If you'd like to get in touch and help us, please write to krishna@.... We'd love to hear from you!

      Avanti Fellows helps bright and motivated students from low-income homes gain admission to and succeed at India's best universities.
      Learn more at: www.avantifellows.org