10804Sub: HMDA initiated destruction of Himayatsagar

  • jeevananda reddy
    Jan 4, 2014

      HMDA on one hand, go on telling to the media that they wanted protect water bodies but on the other hand they initiated to destroy Himayatsagar area by initiating commercial activities under the disguise of protecting the ecology. It is a drinking water reservoir covered under GO111.

      Please see the article published in The Hindu, online 4th January 2014 -- see also my comment on this--.

      Dr. S. Jeevananda Reddy

      Plans to save rocky terrain at Himayatsagar

      T. Lalith Singh, The Hindu, 4th January 2014

      The HMDA will build an eco-park at Himayatsagar in a bid to preserve the ecology along the rocky terrain

      A project to preserve the ecology along the rocky terrain of Kothwalguda near Himayatsagar on the outskirts while incorporating a host of leisure activities has been taken up at an estimated cost of Rs.60 crore by the Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority (HMDA).
      For the Eco Park, which is to come up on a spread of 85 acres that include some quarry pits, authorities have started work on fencing and creating basic infrastructure.
      The design prepared by senior architectural and landscape consultant Kishore Pradhan for the project has a series of components proposed in the park that include a garden with rare, endangered and threatened species of flora, agro-parks and trails.
      According to HMDA Director (Urban Forestry), M. Raja Ramana Reddy, plans have been drawn to have an aquatic bird park, public park, aviary and butterfly and sculpture park. In the area identified for the project, there is some rocky terrain which was under quarrying and these pits would be used to develop mountain biking tracks and laying trails.
      Rare flora
      Few traditional rural huts, picnic area, open air theatre and a solar farm i.e., a farm to be managed by harnessing solar energy, happened to be other components.
      “We will identify the flora that is threatened and endangered and acquire it from different places to create an exclusive garden of them here,” he said.
      The design by Mr.Pradhan, who earlier designed Melkote Park at Narayanguda and KBR Park at Jubilee Hills in the city, has divided the site into different zones and incorporated the available features for different components, he said.
      As of now, the estimated budget for the project has been put approximately at Rs.60 crore and it might go up a bit by the time of completion, that is next year.
      Being planned as an Eco Park, the facility does not have any permanent structures and the infrastructure and amenities would be put in place with eco-friendly material only, Mr. Reddy added.

      It is a another foolish act by HMDA to destroy the catchment area of Himayatsagar under GO 111 to placate real estate. This was done through Shamshabad Airport and ORR phase-I, reaped the riches by politicians and realtors running into thousands of crores. I here with bring to the readers notice the fact that a case is pending in the High Court, which I filed in 2007. I request the HMDA to stop this activity. In the past team of bureaucrats tried to destroy the GO111 and when the government and people are busy with the issues of bifurcation and Krishna Tribunal, HMDA doing this a bad practice. Using public money HMDA wants destroy the two drinking water reservoirs with mindless projects.

      from:  Dr. S. Jeevananda Reddy
      Posted on: Jan 4, 2014 at 13:44 IST