How do I hook up my Kam Plus to my FT-2000

  • kg2ey
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2010
      Just found my Kam Plus in a box of equipment and would like to hook it up to my FT-2000. Just wondering if anyone is using these two together.
    • stevekb6hoh
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 17, 2010
        Warren,

        De Steve KB6HOH in the SF Bay Area.

        I don't have the FT-2000 but I have the User Manual on my PC. On the
        back of the Radio you have a 5Pin Din Plug Jack marked as Packet. This
        should handle all the Operating modes.

        Here is the wiring hookup.

        Yaesu FT-2000 5pin Din Plug Kantronics Kam 8pin Din Plug

        Pin-1 Data In ----------------------------> Pin-6 Receive Audio (Speaker
        Audio)

        Pin-2 Ground ----------------------------> Pin-2 Ground

        Pin-3 Packet PTT ----------------------> Pin-3 PTT (Push To Talk)

        Pin-4 Data Out --------------------------> Pin-1 Transmit Audio ( Mic
        Audio)

        Pin-5 No connection

        Now just FYI. As much as I love my Kantronics Kamplus IMHO I would set
        it aside and use it on VHF/UHF Packet. I would go with a Sound Card
        Interface for the Digital Modes. Tigertronics makes the Signalink USB.
        It has a lot of features that the Kam does not.

        Kamplus
        Pros - Will run Full FSK on RTTY Modes.
        Pros - Can operate Mode A (ARQ) on Amtor, Pactor and Gtor.
        Pros - Has a 2nd port for VHF/UHF Radios
        Cons - Requires use of a RS-232 Serial Port or a USB to Serial Adapter.
        Cons - Requires 12vdc to operate.
        Cons - Requires a Internal Battery to maintain Software settings.
        Cons - Software is on Eproms in unit but does require a Software Program
        to operate.
        Cons - Limited amount of Software Programs.
        Cons - Limited amount of operating Modes.
        Cons - No longer supported by Kantronics.

        Signalink USB
        Pros - It has its own built in USB Sound Card. (No need to use the PC's
        internal Sound Card.)
        Pros - It does not require a Serial Port for PTT. It has a built in
        VOX/Audio Relay for PTT.
        Pros - Power comes from the USB Port.
        Pros - Its very Small compared to the Kam. It fits your Shirt or Pants
        Pocket more or less.
        Pros - Only requires 2 Cables. A USB and Radio interface Cable in most
        Cases.
        Pros - Lots of Free Software available on the Internet.
        Pros - New modes like PSK31, Olivia and more as well as SSTV and RTTY
        dedicated programs.
        Cons - Will not do Mode A (ARQ) on Amtor, Pactor or Gtor.

        If you are still interested in using the Kam in a Windows environment
        Win2k, WinXP or Win7 try XPWARE.
        http://www.glaswerks.com/xpware (Freeware)

        Drop me a note if you have any other questions.

        73 de Steve KB6HOH

        kb6hoh at comcast dot net