KPC3+ and FT-8800, calibrate but no transmit

  • KD0ASX
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 15, 2010
      Hi... weird problem.

      I have a KPC3+ and an FT-8800 using HyperTerminal. I made the DB25/DB9 cable (as well as the DB9 end on the CT39 cable), and I believe it works fine. But for whatever reason I can't get it to connect or transmit. Receive works fine btw.

      The catch is that I can get it to transmit during calibrate. It's send the mark, the send and the square presumably fine (I've heard them on receive from my HT from a few feet away). But when I try to connect to a station, or do anything that resembles a data transmit, the transmit doesn't light up on the TNC and the radio doesn't transmit.

      It's gotta be some setting but I can't figure out what. Hard reset doesn't do the trick, and yes I have the xmitok set at on. Any ideas? I've worked on this for weeks and no luck.

      I'm definitely a noobie when it comes to this, but I'm not a total idiot, and I can read a manual... even one as bad as the one for this TNC. But troubleshooting so far hasn't got me anything.

      Please, oh please help me! My Red Cross chapter is depending on me.

      Dan, KD0ASX
    • Jim WU3V
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 15, 2010
        Remove the battery (button battery) and go through the hard reset. See if that helps.
        If i that does the trick buy a new battery and dispose of the old one safely, they are toxic.

        Jim wu3v aab8mt (MT)

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16, 2010
          In calibrate mode the TNC does not rely on any software. It just uses the hardware/software in the TNC. So your TNC to Radio seem fine. It sounds like you still have a problem from Hyper Term/computer to your TNC. Make sure your baud rate, flow control, stop bits match your TNC and computer. I know I have had many problems with Hyper Term in the past. Try using another software, like Pacterm and see what happens.
          Kevin
          Kc7hgn

          --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "KD0ASX" <kd0asx@...> wrote:

          > Hi... weird problem.
          >
          > I have a KPC3+ and an FT-8800 using HyperTerminal. I made the DB25/DB9 cable (as well as the DB9 end on the CT39 cable), and I believe it works fine. But for whatever reason I can't get it to connect or transmit. Receive works fine btw.
          >
          > The catch is that I can get it to transmit during calibrate. It's send the mark, the send and the square presumably fine (I've heard them on receive from my HT from a few feet away). But when I try to connect to a station, or do anything that resembles a data transmit, the transmit doesn't light up on the TNC and the radio doesn't transmit.
          >
          > It's gotta be some setting but I can't figure out what. Hard reset doesn't do the trick, and yes I have the xmitok set at on. Any ideas? I've worked on this for weeks and no luck.
          >
          > I'm definitely a noobie when it comes to this, but I'm not a total idiot, and I can read a manual... even one as bad as the one for this TNC. But troubleshooting so far hasn't got me anything.
          >
          > Please, oh please help me! My Red Cross chapter is depending on me.
          >
          > Dan, KD0ASX

        • Russ Abbey
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 17, 2010
            Hi all,
            If you're going to use this setup in an EOC or something else like an
            EOC, are you going to be using Airmail? If you do may I suggest that
            you go ahead and down load it, then set it up per the directions.
            There is a dumb terminal program there that I use all of the time for
            checking my Counties Airmail and RMS stations. I have always had a
            problem with using Hyper terminal, it never seems to work for me
            either, thus the Airmail dumb terminal. I use the Yaesu FT-8800's in
            all of the EOC's and also in my home and mobile, using the 6 pin mini
            din for a connection the the TNC. Try the Airmail dumb terminal and
            see if that works, if not give me a shout and I'll walk you through
            the process of setting up the 8800 with a KPC3+.
            73
            Russ Abbey
            KG4MAV
          • KD0ASX
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 18, 2010
              I downloaded WinPack and the demo version of EmComm OPS for Kantronics, and no luck. Anything I try to send unproto doesn't transmit, and doesn't light up the transmit lite on the TNC.

              --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin B" <kc7hgn@...> wrote:

              > In calibrate mode the TNC does not rely on any software. It just uses the hardware/software in the TNC. So your TNC to Radio seem fine. It sounds like you still have a problem from Hyper Term/computer to your TNC. Make sure your baud rate, flow control, stop bits match your TNC and computer. I know I have had many problems with Hyper Term in the past. Try using another software, like Pacterm and see what happens.
              > Kevin
              > Kc7hgn
              >
              > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "KD0ASX" <kd0asx@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi... weird problem.
              > >
              > > I have a KPC3+ and an FT-8800 using HyperTerminal. I made the DB25/DB9 cable (as well as the DB9 end on the CT39 cable), and I believe it works fine. But for whatever reason I can't get it to connect or transmit. Receive works fine btw.
              > >
              > > The catch is that I can get it to transmit during calibrate. It's send the mark, the send and the square presumably fine (I've heard them on receive from my HT from a few feet away). But when I try to connect to a station, or do anything that resembles a data transmit, the transmit doesn't light up on the TNC and the radio doesn't transmit.
              > >
              > > It's gotta be some setting but I can't figure out what. Hard reset doesn't do the trick, and yes I have the xmitok set at on. Any ideas? I've worked on this for weeks and no luck.
              > >
              > > I'm definitely a noobie when it comes to this, but I'm not a total idiot, and I can read a manual... even one as bad as the one for this TNC. But troubleshooting so far hasn't got me anything.
              > >
              > > Please, oh please help me! My Red Cross chapter is depending on me.
              > >
              > > Dan, KD0ASX

            • KD0ASX
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 18, 2010
                I don't believe the connection between the TNC and the radio is the problem. I can get it to do the calibrate function. When I send an unproto message from computer to TNC using HyperTerminal, WinPack, and EmComm OPS for Kantronics (formerly Pacterm), I get the same results... nothing.

                I'll try it though just to try it... Am I way off base here or what?

                --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, Russ Abbey <russ.abbey@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                > If you're going to use this setup in an EOC or something else like an
                > EOC, are you going to be using Airmail? If you do may I suggest that
                > you go ahead and down load it, then set it up per the directions.
                > There is a dumb terminal program there that I use all of the time for
                > checking my Counties Airmail and RMS stations. I have always had a
                > problem with using Hyper terminal, it never seems to work for me
                > either, thus the Airmail dumb terminal. I use the Yaesu FT-8800's in
                > all of the EOC's and also in my home and mobile, using the 6 pin mini
                > din for a connection the the TNC. Try the Airmail dumb terminal and
                > see if that works, if not give me a shout and I'll walk you through
                > the process of setting up the 8800 with a KPC3+.
                > 73
                > Russ Abbey
                > KG4MAV

              • Kevin B
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 19, 2010
                  What is your interface set to? Is it set to carrier detect and your squelch is open? Or the Led is on? Maybe there is a problem with your Carrier detect in your cable. Try setting the TNC to software and see what happens. If that works than its a cable problem. The calibrate command will force the TNC to transmit no matter what I believe. Try those and if it still doesn't work we can try something else.
                  Kevin
                  Kc7hgn

                  --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "KD0ASX" <kd0asx@...> wrote:

                  > I don't believe the connection between the TNC and the radio is the problem. I can get it to do the calibrate function. When I send an unproto message from computer to TNC using HyperTerminal, WinPack, and EmComm OPS for Kantronics (formerly Pacterm), I get the same results... nothing.
                  >
                  > I'll try it though just to try it... Am I way off base here or what?
                  >
                  > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, Russ Abbey <russ.abbey@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi all,
                  > > If you're going to use this setup in an EOC or something else like an
                  > > EOC, are you going to be using Airmail? If you do may I suggest that
                  > > you go ahead and down load it, then set it up per the directions.
                  > > There is a dumb terminal program there that I use all of the time for
                  > > checking my Counties Airmail and RMS stations. I have always had a
                  > > problem with using Hyper terminal, it never seems to work for me
                  > > either, thus the Airmail dumb terminal. I use the Yaesu FT-8800's in
                  > > all of the EOC's and also in my home and mobile, using the 6 pin mini
                  > > din for a connection the the TNC. Try the Airmail dumb terminal and
                  > > see if that works, if not give me a shout and I'll walk you through
                  > > the process of setting up the 8800 with a KPC3+.
                  > > 73
                  > > Russ Abbey
                  > > KG4MAV

                • KD0ASX
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 19, 2010
                    By interface I assume you mean NEWUSER or TERMINAL. I've tried both. I'm not sure about the carrier detect and squelch (I have to run to work and will have to look at it tonight) but I have run it in SOFTWARE and still no transmit, no LED light coming on, no nothing. So though I'll doublecheck all of this tonight, let's assume that we need to take that next step... I'm on my second cable from computer to TNC... carrier detect on cable from TNC to radio? gotta run to work, but I'll investigate this P.M. Thanks...

                    --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin B" <kc7hgn@...> wrote:

                    > What is your interface set to? Is it set to carrier detect and your squelch is open? Or the Led is on? Maybe there is a problem with your Carrier detect in your cable. Try setting the TNC to software and see what happens. If that works than its a cable problem. The calibrate command will force the TNC to transmit no matter what I believe. Try those and if it still doesn't work we can try something else.
                    > Kevin
                    > Kc7hgn
                    >
                    > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "KD0ASX" <kd0asx@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I don't believe the connection between the TNC and the radio is the problem. I can get it to do the calibrate function. When I send an unproto message from computer to TNC using HyperTerminal, WinPack, and EmComm OPS for Kantronics (formerly Pacterm), I get the same results... nothing.
                    > >
                    > > I'll try it though just to try it... Am I way off base here or what?
                    > >
                    > > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, Russ Abbey <russ.abbey@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi all,
                    > > > If you're going to use this setup in an EOC or something else like an
                    > > > EOC, are you going to be using Airmail? If you do may I suggest that
                    > > > you go ahead and down load it, then set it up per the directions.
                    > > > There is a dumb terminal program there that I use all of the time for
                    > > > checking my Counties Airmail and RMS stations. I have always had a
                    > > > problem with using Hyper terminal, it never seems to work for me
                    > > > either, thus the Airmail dumb terminal. I use the Yaesu FT-8800's in
                    > > > all of the EOC's and also in my home and mobile, using the 6 pin mini
                    > > > din for a connection the the TNC. Try the Airmail dumb terminal and
                    > > > see if that works, if not give me a shout and I'll walk you through
                    > > > the process of setting up the 8800 with a KPC3+.
                    > > > 73
                    > > > Russ Abbey
                    > > > KG4MAV

                  • KD0ASX
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 19, 2010
                      VICTORY! I traded emails with Kantronics and it turned out that it was the TNC to radio cable... I soldered Pin 2, the "External Carrier Detect (transmit inhibit) input"... now that I read that back to myself I think "well, duh... transmit inhibit!" Ugh... noobies! LOL

                      Thanks to all who dealth with my grumpiness. Hopefully noobs can read this and learn something...