Re: [kantronics] RS-232 Connection to PC

  • Mark Hinkel
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2008
      Hi,

      The MT-1200 uses a 9 pin DB-9 female connector -- all I need is a 9 pin
      extension cable to go from the 9 pin male connector on the back of my
      Dell desk top.

      The manual for the MT-1200G said not to use a null modem cable, you need
      a straight thru cable. I believe the null cable is used for connecting
      a separate GPS unit (MT-1200 uses a separate GPS // MT-1200G has a
      built-in GPS).

      Mark WA3QVU

      On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Bill Vodall WA7NWP wrote:

      >> I just acquired a used KPC 3+ and am trying to get it up and going.
      > I've been unsuccessful in getting it to talk to my PC with its DB-9
      > connector. I've tried all the variants in the manual but with no luck.

      Connecting my Kantronics and other 25pin TNCs to the computer became
      much simpler for me the day I realized it's the same setup as a good
      old landline modem.   So the cable with a  DB9 to  the computer and a
      DB25 to a Modem will work with the KPC 3(+)...

      73
      Bill - WA7NWP
    • Bill Tubbs
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 29, 2008
        Gene,

        I'm not seeing anything on the screen right now, so that's the main
        problem. I may go back and hook up one of my old TNCs and make sure
        the computer is working correctly before I go on. It was seeing my
        MFJ1278 before I decided to move it aside and try the KPC. It'll turn
        out to be something simple, but it doesn't get much simpler than
        moving 3 or 4 wires around :-)

        Bill

        --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, AA1XD <aa1xd@...> wrote:

        > Hi Bill
        > Most if not all Kams wire the same according to the manual. The
        wiring for vhf should be

        > DB9 on the KPC3 to your radio
        > Pin 1   TX audio. Wires to the mic input
        > Pin 3   PTT
        > Pin 5   RX andio
        > Pin 6   Ground
        >
        > DB25 to your computer
        > You will need a DB25 to DB9 cable for this. Or you can use a USB to
        serial adaptor.
        > If you have the proper cable, check your com  ports, port speed,
        ect.

        > If I had a little more info on what you are or arent seeing on your
        screen, I could probably help you a little more.

        > Good luck
        > 73  Gene
        > AA1XD

      • stevekb6hoh
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 29, 2008
          Hi Bill,

          As was stated previously I would double check the Comport
          settings. I would make it simple. Use Hyperterminal in Windows.
          Set the Baud Rate for 1200baud. Next I would do a Hard Reset of the
          Tnc. Follow the directions in the Manual for doing that. If you still
          cannot get it to communicate I would say try another PC. You could
          have a problem either with the Comport on the PC or the TNC itself.
          Also make sure the Serial Cable is just that and not a Nullmodem
          cable. Let us know how it goes.

          Steve KB6HOH in Novato, Calif

          --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tubbs" <cgpiper@...> wrote:

          > I just acquired a used KPC 3+ and am trying to get it up and going.
          > I've been unsuccessful in getting it to talk to my PC with its DB-9
          > connector. I've tried all the variants in the manual but with no luck.
          >
          > Does someone have a pinout that's in use right now that can pass it
          > along to me? Sure would appreciate it...!
          >
          > Bill

        • Bill Tubbs
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 29, 2008
            Minor success. I'm able to receive on the PC now so next I'll work on
            the transmit function. I've been away from packet since the early
            days of my TAPR TNC-1 and 2, and have to re-learn the process ;-)

            More later. Thanks, guys!

            Bill, WK6A

            --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "stevekb6hoh" <kb6hoh@...> wrote:

            > Hi Bill,
            >
            > As was stated previously I would double check the Comport
            > settings. I would make it simple. Use Hyperterminal in Windows.
            > Set the Baud Rate for 1200baud. Next I would do a Hard Reset of the
            > Tnc. Follow the directions in the Manual for doing that. If you
            still
            > cannot get it to communicate I would say try another PC. You could
            > have a problem either with the Comport on the PC or the TNC itself.
            > Also make sure the Serial Cable is just that and not a Nullmodem
            > cable. Let us know how it goes.
            >
            > Steve KB6HOH in Novato, Calif
            >
            > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tubbs" <cgpiper@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just acquired a used KPC 3+ and am trying to get it up and
            going.
            > > I've been unsuccessful in getting it to talk to my PC with its DB-
            9
            > > connector. I've tried all the variants in the manual but with no
            luck.

            > > Does someone have a pinout that's in use right now that can pass
            it
            > > along to me? Sure would appreciate it...!
            > >
            > > Bill

          • Bill Tubbs
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 30, 2008
              Okay, this is cool...

              I forgot about the hard reset part (hey, it's been 20 years since I
              started with packet). So I pulled the cover of the KPC, switched the
              jumper and reset it, and presto! It initialized!! So now I'm
              receiving via the COM1 on my PC. My next step was to see if my serial
              to USB converter cable works and when I hooked it up it went right to
              COM3 and fired up with a very slight lag time compared to the direct
              serial connection (but not an issue).

              My next step is to get the transmit function working. The transmit
              light on the KPC comes on appropriately but it's not triggering the
              rig (FT-817ND). But so far so good. Thanks, guys!!!

              Bill, WK6A

              --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tubbs" <cgpiper@...> wrote:

              > Gene and Bill;
              >
              > Thanks for the feedback. That's how I've wired it but no joy at
              this
              > point. I'll go back and hook up one of my older TNCs and see if
              that
              > works, then try the Kantronics again. I may pull out another
              computer
              > and try that just in case it's the serial port that's the problem.
              >
              > I have a serial to USB converter also, but until I get the basis DB-
              9
              > to DB-25 working I'm not going to mess with it.
              >
              > 'preciate it!
              >
              > Bill, WK6A
              >
              > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Vodall WA7NWP" <wa7nwp@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > > I just acquired a used KPC 3+ and am trying to get it up and
              > going.
              > > > I've been unsuccessful in getting it to talk to my PC with its
              DB-
              > 9
              > > > connector. I've tried all the variants in the manual but with
              no
              > luck.
              > >
              > > Connecting my Kantronics and other 25pin TNCs to the computer
              became
              > > much simpler for me the day I realized it's the same setup as a
              good
              > > old landline modem. So the cable with a DB9 to the computer
              and
              > > DB25 to a Modem will work with the KPC 3(+)...
              > >
              > > 73
              > > Bill - WA7NWP

            • kevin asato
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 30, 2008
                Serial to USB converter should work fine. I use one all the time for various connections with equipment at work. The problem/quirk I seem to notice is that the port assignment of the serial port will tend to move around. On somedays, I see it as port 6, port, 7 or port 8; depending if I delete or disable some of the assignments. This seems to occur whenever I insert the dongle as I do quite often going from site to site often in one day. (btw - using Win XP Pro but I think it happens the same on regular XP).

                I can find what serial ports have been created under the Hardware Manager if I do not get the report when the driver starts up at the desktop level. Once the device is up, I have used it with Hyperterminal and Procomm Plus with no problems.

                73,
                kevin
                kc6pob

                I forgot about the hard reset part (hey, it's been 20 years since I

                started with packet). So I pulled the cover of the KPC, switched the

                jumper and reset it, and presto! It initialized! ! So now I'm

                receiving via the COM1 on my PC. My next step was to see if my serial

                to USB converter cable works and when I hooked it up it went right to

                COM3 and fired up with a very slight lag time compared to the direct

                serial connection (but not an issue).

                My next step is to get the transmit function working. The transmit

                light on the KPC comes on appropriately but it's not triggering the

                rig (FT-817ND). But so far so good. Thanks, guys!!!

                Bill, WK6A

                --- In kantronics@yahoogro ups.com, "Bill Tubbs" <cgpiper@... > wrote:

                > Gene and Bill;

                > Thanks for the feedback. That's how I've wired it but no joy at

                this

                > point. I'll go back and hook up one of my older TNCs and see if

                that

                > works, then try the Kantronics again. I may pull out another

                computer

                > and try that just in case it's the serial port that's the problem.

                > I have a serial to USB converter also, but until I get the basis DB-

                9

                > to DB-25 working I'm not going to mess with it.

                > 'preciate it!

                > Bill, WK6A

                > --- In kantronics@yahoogro ups.com, "Bill Vodall WA7NWP" <wa7nwp@>

                > wrote:

                > > > I just acquired a used KPC 3+ and am trying to get it up and

                > going.

                > > > I've been unsuccessful in getting it to talk to my PC with its

                DB-

                > 9

                > > > connector. I've tried all the variants in the manual but with

                no

                > luck.

                > > Connecting my Kantronics and other 25pin TNCs to the computer

                became

                > > much simpler for me the day I realized it's the same setup as a

                good

                > > old landline modem. So the cable with a DB9 to the computer

                and

                > > DB25 to a Modem will work with the KPC 3(+)...

                > > 73

                > > Bill - WA7NWP

              • Bill Tubbs
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 30, 2008
                  Okay, I rewired the FT817 connector to the TNC twice and still no go
                  with transmit. Receive is working well. Here is how I wired the CT-39
                  Packet Interface Cable per a previous message here:

                  Black wire to DB9 pin 1
                  Red wire to DB9 pin 3
                  Yellow wire to DB9 pin 5
                  Brown wire to DB9 pin 9

                  Is there a jumper or other switch that keeps the rig from keying?

                  Bll
                • Bill Tubbs
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 30, 2008
                    Yep, got the serial to USB working fine on COM3, so all that's left
                    is getting transmit to work. I have a WIND notebook that's about
                    twice the width of the KPC3+/FT817, so it will be a pretty darn
                    compact setup once it's all working.

                    I'll keep the port switching in mind as I restart it each time.
                    Always something, eh? :-)

                    Thanks,
                    Bill