kpc3 & kpc3+

  • ve3diz
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 21, 2008
      Does anyone know the difference between the kpc3 and the kpc3+? What
      additional features does the "+" have over the older version?
      Matt, VE3DIZ
    • Ken Burchfield
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 21, 2008
        Matt, in short....tooo many improvements in the kpc3+ to count I think....I have the kpc3(Old) in service 24/7 regular packet and it does a great job. If you need the manual I will try to find a file someplace so that you can compare
        1. the + has 2ports
        2. Many function of later function ,Like + works on APrs
        3 You need to know what you expect from the tnc.
        you can get the + manual here at this group
        If I can assist further let me know
        73 Ken k5jxl@...
        just click on link then move to the left and download the manual for the kpc3+

        Please be sure to read the Kantronics support FAQ before posting:
        http://www.kantronics.com/support/faqs.html

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 21, 2008
          Sorry Matt, data show to be single port sorry.
          Ken
          As a single-port radio modem/TNC compatible with the characteristics of UHF/VHF transmission bands, the KPC-3+ can be paired with a UHF/VHF radio to serve the following functions and applications:

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 21, 2008
            The main reason I am asking is because I just got a kpc3 (non plus) at
            a flea market today for $25. I have been using a kpc3+ on my portable
            vhf station for about 2 years for aprs, packet and a digi on occasion.

            What I'm hoping to do now is to get a base aprs station setup. If the
            tnc checks out ok, I'm going to use it with ui-view and an icom ic25H
            that I got from the flea market for $25 last year. There is one
            question that I have about the kpc3. When using the kpc3+ I would have
            to turn the squelch up until the static was silenced or else the tnc
            wouldn't transmit anything. Is there a command to give it to transmit
            even if the squelch is open? I know that I may crash with stations on
            occasion but I'll only be transmitting every hour so I doubt I'll
            crash with too many. I find that the icom needs a really good signal
            to open the squelch where as an ft8800 that I use on my portable
            station barely needs anything to open the squelch.
            Matt, VE3DIZ

            --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, Ken Burchfield <k5jxl@...> wrote:

            > Matt, in short....tooo many improvements in the kpc3+ to count I
            think....I have the kpc3(Old) in service 24/7 regular packet and it
            does a great job. If you need the manual I will try to find a file
            someplace so that you can compare
            > 1. the + has 2ports
            > 2. Many function of later function ,Like + works on APrs
            > 3 You need to know what you expect from the tnc.
            > you can get the + manual here at this group
            > If I can assist further let me know
            > 73 Ken k5jxl@...
            > just click on link then move to the left and download the manual for
            the kpc3+

            > Please be sure to read the Kantronics support FAQ before posting:
            > http://www.kantronics.com/support/faqs.html

          • David Struebel
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 21, 2008
              Matt,

              I believe that the orignal KPC-3 as well as the KPC-3+ allow you to set the TNC for software carrier detection.... I think the command is CD. and you set it to either "internal" or "software".. don't quote me... If that is the case you could run with the squelch fully open... It will only inhibit transmission when it detects when data is being sent on the frequency

              Dave WB2FTX

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 22, 2008
                Matt,
                I really don't know much about the kpc3+
                I know of no command to turn the transmit on when the squelch is open ie : receiving static.
                the command that will turn the transmitter on is just "ID"
                If you do not have the manual for the Non plus
                I can email a .pdf file of 4+ meg to the email that you wish, just send me off list:
                73 Ken k5jxl@...

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 22, 2008
                  Matt,
                  I have both manuals, if you need.
                  kpc3..........4+meg
                  IC-25H.......3.2meg
                  Ken k5jxl@...

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 22, 2008
                    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 02:38:43 -0000, ve3diz wrote:

                    >The main reason I am asking is because I just got a kpc3 (non plus) at
                    >a flea market today for $25

                    There are some notes on setting up the KPC3 for APRS here:

                    http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/kpc3+82WIDEn.txt

                    73

                    -Jim
                    NU0C