Re: KPC-3+ 9600

  • Scott Laughlin
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
      Jim,

      I was going to suggest a hard reset. I see you've already done
      that. Try a second hard reset.

      If I change from old conventional packet to APRS I must do a hard
      reset in order to get it to respond to packet again. Sometimes It
      takes two times to get the job done.

      If that doesn't help I would check the wires on the cables and be
      sure something hasn't come loose or broken off or come incontact with
      ground.

      Those are pretty small signals.

      Let us know what you find.

      73 de Scott / n7net

      --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "jima6934" <aylwardjim@...> wrote:

      > I purchased the KPC-3+ 9600 new at Dayton this year. Only fiddled
      with
      > it a bit over the summer, doing a basic setup to make sure it was
      > functional and accessed it via AGWPE but just never had the time to
      put
      > it to use.
      >
      > Now when I go to use it, the KPC will not respond to anything.
      Same
      > connections as before (Radio Shack USB adapter to the laptop) and
      yet
      > the KPC cannot be accessed via AGWPE, Airmail, even Hyperterminal.
      It
      > just sits there. Only the power light comes on.
      >
      > I even tried the hard reset using the J-11 jumper and still got no
      > response while using Hyperterminal, which, yes, I had set for 1200
      baud.

      > I am at a loss. What seems like it should be a simple matter has
      > turned into a major headache. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      >

      > Jim, KC8PD

    • Burt
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
        Hi Jim,...
        Just in case you have not checked it, I would check the 3v Lithium
        cell. I have found that if the voltage drops to 2.93 the battery has
        to be changed,
        that happened on two tncs, KAM-Plus and KPC-3. Replaced both batteries
        ran the little DOS program Pacterm which comes with every Kantronics tnc
        and away it went. I find Hyperterm to be a real pain to try and use to get a
        tnc back on... also AGWPE, might be a bit of a problem having it get the
        system up and running. Usually a hard reset takes care of everything
        and then just hit the * on the num pad turn on the tnc wait for it to tell
        you to hit * and hit the enter key.
        Ok, hope that helps. If you do not have Pacterm you may be able
        to download it from Kantronics.... if you do not have a DOS window to play
        with, then Winpack will do very well in Windows.
        All the best. Let us know how you make out.

        7 3,... Burt & Phyllis
        ve1ama & va1pr

        At 01:24 PM 11/4/2007, you wrote:

        >I purchased the KPC-3+ 9600 new at Dayton this year. Only fiddled with
        >it a bit over the summer, doing a basic setup to make sure it was
        >functional and accessed it via AGWPE but just never had the time to put
        >it to use.
        >
        >Now when I go to use it, the KPC will not respond to anything. Same
        >connections as before (Radio Shack USB adapter to the laptop) and yet
        >the KPC cannot be accessed via AGWPE, Airmail, even Hyperterminal. It
        >just sits there. Only the power light comes on.
        >
        >I even tried the hard reset using the J-11 jumper and still got no
        >response while using Hyperterminal, which, yes, I had set for 1200 baud.
        >
        >I am at a loss. What seems like it should be a simple matter has
        >turned into a major headache. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
        >
        >Jim, KC8PD

      • commish312000
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2007
          I did a hard reset on my KPC-3 after it was used for APRS, no luck, so
          removed the battery for a hard reset, worked.

          Marv W6DSL
          --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Laughlin" <n7net@...> wrote:

          > Jim,
          >
          > I was going to suggest a hard reset. I see you've already done
          > that. Try a second hard reset.
          >
          > If I change from old conventional packet to APRS I must do a hard
          > reset in order to get it to respond to packet again. Sometimes It
          > takes two times to get the job done.
          >
          > If that doesn't help I would check the wires on the cables and be
          > sure something hasn't come loose or broken off or come incontact with
          > ground.
          >
          > Those are pretty small signals.
          >
          > Let us know what you find.
          >
          > 73 de Scott / n7net
          >
          > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "jima6934" aylwardjim@ wrote:
          > >
          > > I purchased the KPC-3+ 9600 new at Dayton this year. Only fiddled
          > with
          > > it a bit over the summer, doing a basic setup to make sure it was
          > > functional and accessed it via AGWPE but just never had the time to
          > put
          > > it to use.
          > >
          > > Now when I go to use it, the KPC will not respond to anything.
          > Same
          > > connections as before (Radio Shack USB adapter to the laptop) and
          > yet
          > > the KPC cannot be accessed via AGWPE, Airmail, even Hyperterminal.
          > It
          > > just sits there. Only the power light comes on.
          > >
          > > I even tried the hard reset using the J-11 jumper and still got no
          > > response while using Hyperterminal, which, yes, I had set for 1200
          > baud.
          > >
          > > I am at a loss. What seems like it should be a simple matter has
          > > turned into a major headache. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
          > >

          > > Jim, KC8PD

        • Scott Laughlin
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
            Pacfast is another terminal program that's small and quick. It's
            available on line for the download.

            I've used Paket 6.1 for years. It's a pretty extensive program, but
            it works nicely.

            73 de Scott / n7net

            --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, Burt <ve1ama@...> wrote:

            > Hi Jim,...
            > Just in case you have not checked it, I would check the 3v
            Lithium
            > cell. I have found that if the voltage drops to 2.93 the battery
            has
            > to be changed,
            > that happened on two tncs, KAM-Plus and KPC-3. Replaced both
            batteries
            > ran the little DOS program Pacterm which comes with every
            Kantronics tnc
            > and away it went. I find Hyperterm to be a real pain to try and
            use to get a
            > tnc back on... also AGWPE, might be a bit of a problem having it
            get the
            > system up and running. Usually a hard reset takes care of
            everything
            > and then just hit the * on the num pad turn on the tnc wait for it
            to tell
            > you to hit * and hit the enter key.
            > Ok, hope that helps. If you do not have Pacterm you may
            be able
            > to download it from Kantronics.... if you do not have a DOS window
            to play
            > with, then Winpack will do very well in Windows.
            > All the best. Let us know how you make out.
            >
            > 7 3,... Burt & Phyllis
            > ve1ama & va1pr
            >

            > At 01:24 PM 11/4/2007, you wrote:
            >
            > >I purchased the KPC-3+ 9600 new at Dayton this year. Only fiddled
            with
            > >it a bit over the summer, doing a basic setup to make sure it was
            > >functional and accessed it via AGWPE but just never had the time
            to put
            > >it to use.
            > >
            > >Now when I go to use it, the KPC will not respond to anything. Same
            > >connections as before (Radio Shack USB adapter to the laptop) and
            yet
            > >the KPC cannot be accessed via AGWPE, Airmail, even Hyperterminal.
            It
            > >just sits there. Only the power light comes on.
            > >
            > >I even tried the hard reset using the J-11 jumper and still got no
            > >response while using Hyperterminal, which, yes, I had set for 1200
            baud.

            > >I am at a loss. What seems like it should be a simple matter has
            > >turned into a major headache. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
            > >
            > >Jim, KC8PD

          • stevekb6hoh
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 10, 2007
              Jim KC8PD,

              Did you get your problem resolved?
              Also the 2 Programs that Scott listed will not work if you are using
              a USB to Serial Cable like the Radio Shack one you have.
              What OS are you using? Also if the Laptop does not have a Physical
              Serial Port (I.E DB9) then I would recommend you hook the TNC upto
              maybe a Desktop PC that does have either a DB9 or DB25 Serial Port.
              I have run into problems when attempting a Hard Reset off a Laptop
              using the USB to Serial Cable and Hyper Terminal or any other
              Terminal program. Also you might look at this program called XPWare.
              It is a Windows based program that will work with your USB to Serial
              Cable. I have used it on Windows 98se, 2000 and WinXP. Do a search
              for XPWare or goto http://www.glaswerks.com/xpware. This program is
              now Freeware. Download the following files:
              Windows Registration program
              XPWIN 1.2.8B - Final Shipping version
              and
              XPWIN 1.3.2 - Final Test Version (Added Kantronics Support for
              TNC's made though 2003)
              Any questions give me a shout. Good Luck!

              73 de Steve KB6HOH

              wrote:

> [...]
              time
              > to put
              > > >it to use.
              > > >
              > > >Now when I go to use it, the KPC will not respond to anything.
              Same
              > > >connections as before (Radio Shack USB adapter to the laptop)
              and
              > yet
              > > >the KPC cannot be accessed via AGWPE, Airmail, even
              Hyperterminal.
              > It
              > > >just sits there. Only the power light comes on.
              > > >
              > > >I even tried the hard reset using the J-11 jumper and still got
              no
              > > >response while using Hyperterminal, which, yes, I had set for
              1200
              > baud.
              > > >
              > > >I am at a loss. What seems like it should be a simple matter has
              > > >turned into a major headache. Any suggestions would be

            • jima6934
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 13, 2007
                Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry about problems with the KPC-
                3+ and the serial to USB connection. The lesson here is that just
                because something worked for a while doesn't mean that it will continue
                to work.

                I had been using a Radio Shack serial to USB converter which has worked
                just fine for every other application and had been okay when I first
                tried it with the KPC-3+. As my previous post noted, this Fall when I
                got back to trying the TNC again the computer couldn't find it with
                both hands and a searchlight.

                Based on the suggestions I tried the TNC on another computer with a DB9
                serial port and Hyperterm. Bingo! Hyperterm found the TNC and, since
                I had done a hard reset, after MYCALL we were back in business. Aaargh!

                So it appears that I will need to use either another computer or a
                higher quality USB adapter that will handle the TNC's low voltages.

                Thanks to all for your suggestions.

                73, Jim, KC8PD
              • ktnjoepark@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 13, 2007
                  I had that problem, I finally found that the Belkin adapter works.

                  Joe WB6AGR
                • stevekb6hoh
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 13, 2007
                    Jim,

                    Glad it was only the USB to Serial Cable. If I may make a
                    recommendation. I use to work for CompUSA as a Computer Tech. I
                    bought 2 USB to Serial adapters called Keyspan. Model# is USA-19HS.
                    CompUSA SKU# 309975. They run $39.99ea. I use mine on my Toshiba P4
                    Laptop and working with a KPC3 and a late model KAMPlus. I have had
                    them for almost 2years. Not a songle problem with them. I lke the
                    fact the USB cable is detachable. Anyway glad to see you are up and
                    running. Not get back to the Biz of having fun.
                    Also if you havent tried it look for Comm program called XPWare. Its
                    a Windows base program that can be used with Kantronics and AEA
                    TNC's as well as others.
                    The program is now freeware.
                    Like the old Life Cereal TV commercial,
                    Mikee, He likes it. Try it, you may like it.

                    73 de Steve KB6HOH