Connection for Yaesu FT-897

  • Jeri
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2006
      I'm buying the KAM-XL tomorrow. I'll be using it with an Yaesu FT-897
      radio, and I need connection recommendations.

      The Yaesu has a 6-pin Mini-DIN Data Jack connector. Beside the Squelch
      output, PTT input and ground, it has a 1200 BPS data output pin at 100
      mV at 600 ohms (that also is used for all the HF Audio output). It also
      has a 9600 bps data out pin on the connector. It only has one data
      input pin.

      I need to know what the best way would be to connect to the two KAM-XL
      jacks on the Yaesu, as it's not really obvious what the separate 9600
      output is used for (I know there's a separate selection for . Also, I
      need to know if the data input pin is always audio levels, or if it
      takes in digital levels (FSK) when the Yaesu is in 9600 Baud mode.

      So, has anyone set up a Yaesu FT-897 for both regular and 9600 bps
      mode? If so, what set of connections (and maybe levels) did you use?

      Jerry