KAM XL

  • Charlie Crizer
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 13, 2003
      Anyone around?

      I have a KAM XL and I was wondering if I can get some pointer in how
      to use it.

      Charlie, KF4MNE
    • Paul David Gregg, KD4IDR
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 13, 2003
        Hey Charlie,

        I also use the Kam XL with most of the modes. Which ones are you
        trying to use?

        paul
      • Crizer, Charles
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 13, 2003
          Hi Paul,

          I am looking at CW, RTTY, PSK31, and pretty much all the others
          eventually. I am still new to using these modes and I want to know if I
          have my rig setup properly.

          For example: Where do I tune my rig for CW? If someone has their dial
          set to 3.580kHz where should my dial be? Should it also be at 3.580kHz?
          I know that I don't have to be exact but I'm not sure what the proper
          thing to do is. This is also a situation on SSB. If I join a net on
          3.974kHz, how do I tune that? Will my audio sound ok to the other
          stations? Should I do something with the RIT dial on my rig? (706MKIIG)

          Then there are the filters. I have a narrow SSB filter installed in my
          706MKIIG. How should that be used? I have heard that if I use RTTY mode
          for digital work, I get much tighter filters. What's the answer on it?

          This sort of thing is even more of a mystery to me when using the KAM.
          What are the best parameters to use between KAM and rig?

          And lastly, any recommendations on software? For now I am using just a
          dumb terminal but I would like to get something worthwhile.

          Thanks!

          Charles Crizer, KF4MNE

          Senior IT Engineer

          ObjectVideo

          703-654-9391

          Copyright 2003, DiamondBack Vision, Inc. T/A ObjectVideo. All Rights
          Reserved.

          I also use the Kam XL with most of the modes. Which ones are you
          trying to use?

          paul

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          click here
          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3705203.4965331.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          063108:HM/A=1712983/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http:/hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit
          ?page=1374-105951838331032>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3705203.4965331.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1712983/rand=119289244>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Paul David Gregg, KD4IDR
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 13, 2003
            --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "Crizer, Charles" <KF4MNE@a...>
            wrote:
            > Hi Paul,
            >

            > I am looking at CW, RTTY, PSK31, and pretty much all the others
            > eventually. I am still new to using these modes and I want to know
            if I
            > have my rig setup properly.
            >

            > For example: Where do I tune my rig for CW? If someone has their
            dial
            > set to 3.580kHz where should my dial be? Should it also be at
            3.580kHz?
            > I know that I don't have to be exact but I'm not sure what the
            proper
            > thing to do is. This is also a situation on SSB. If I join a net on
            > 3.974kHz, how do I tune that? Will my audio sound ok to the other
            > stations? Should I do something with the RIT dial on my rig?
            (706MKIIG)

            Where you tune is dependent on a lot of things. I use a 746 and the CW
            Pitch control can make where I tune change. With the Kam XL you can
            just tune until the bargraph jumps all the way to the right with the
            CW signal. One way of getting your pitches right is to use a spectrum
            analyzer. I just use the one built into Digipan to set everything up
            and zero beat my radio with WWV.

            > Then there are the filters. I have a narrow SSB filter installed in
            my
            > 706MKIIG. How should that be used? I have heard that if I use RTTY
            mode
            > for digital work, I get much tighter filters. What's the answer on
            it?

            I find it sometimes helpful to use the DSP in the 746. The twin PBT
            can really help you copy a a weak PSK31 station. I don't operate RTTY
            but am sure using a filter or DSP would help.

            > This sort of thing is even more of a mystery to me when using the
            KAM.
            > What are the best parameters to use between KAM and rig?

            Using the tuning indicator on the KAM XL can really help as can having
            a scope or spectrum analyzer runing. Make sure BARGRAPH is set to ON
            in the Kam XL so the tuning indicator will always be activated.

            > And lastly, any recommendations on software? For now I am using
            just a
            > dumb terminal but I would like to get something worthwhile.

            I just use a dumb terminal as well, because sometimes I take the Kam
            XL mobile and want to be able to work it "manually". ;-) I would look
            for a good "Host Mode" program that is compatible with your OS.

            paul

            > Thanks!
            >

            > Charles Crizer, KF4MNE
            >
            > Senior IT Engineer
            >
            > ObjectVideo
            >
            > 703-654-9391
            >

            > Copyright 2003, DiamondBack Vision, Inc. T/A ObjectVideo. All Rights
            > Reserved.

          • Crizer, Charles

              > I am looking at CW, RTTY, PSK31, and pretty much all the others
              > eventually. I am still new to using these modes and I want to know
              if I
              > have my rig setup properly.
              >

              > For example: Where do I tune my rig for CW? If someone has their
              dial
              > set to 3.580kHz where should my dial be? Should it also be at
              3.580kHz?
              > I know that I don't have to be exact but I'm not sure what the
              proper
              > thing to do is. This is also a situation on SSB. If I join a net on
              > 3.974kHz, how do I tune that? Will my audio sound ok to the other
              > stations? Should I do something with the RIT dial on my rig?
              (706MKIIG)

              Where you tune is dependent on a lot of things. I use a 746 and the CW
              Pitch control can make where I tune change. With the Kam XL you can
              just tune until the bargraph jumps all the way to the right with the
              CW signal. One way of getting your pitches right is to use a spectrum
              analyzer. I just use the one built into Digipan to set everything up
              and zero beat my radio with WWV.

              > Then there are the filters. I have a narrow SSB filter installed in
              my
              > 706MKIIG. How should that be used? I have heard that if I use RTTY
              mode
              > for digital work, I get much tighter filters. What's the answer on
              it?

              I find it sometimes helpful to use the DSP in the 746. The twin PBT
              can really help you copy a a weak PSK31 station. I don't operate RTTY
              but am sure using a filter or DSP would help.

              > This sort of thing is even more of a mystery to me when using the
              KAM.
              > What are the best parameters to use between KAM and rig?

              Using the tuning indicator on the KAM XL can really help as can having
              a scope or spectrum analyzer runing. Make sure BARGRAPH is set to ON
              in the Kam XL so the tuning indicator will always be activated.

              > And lastly, any recommendations on software? For now I am using
              just a
              > dumb terminal but I would like to get something worthwhile.

              I just use a dumb terminal as well, because sometimes I take the Kam
              XL mobile and want to be able to work it "manually". ;-) I would look
              for a good "Host Mode" program that is compatible with your OS.

              paul

              > Thanks!
              >

              > Charles Crizer, KF4MNE
              >
              > Senior IT Engineer
              >
              > ObjectVideo
              >
              > 703-654-9391
              >

              > Copyright 2003, DiamondBack Vision, Inc. T/A ObjectVideo. All Rights
              > Reserved.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              click here
              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
              063108:HM/A=1706996/R=0/SIG=11p5b9ris/*http:/www.ediets.com/start.cfm?co
              de=30509&media=atkins>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egrou
              pmail/S=:HM/A=1706996/rand=582959526>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • George
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 28, 2008
                Hi All, Name here is George AG0S. I am a member of the Denver Radio
                Club. We have a K-Net network in the Denver metro area, so far it is
                composed of 3 KAM XLs on VHF & HF and 5 KPC3+s on VHF.

                We have been experiencing random RESETs and occasional RESTORE to
                default settings on the XLs. When this happens Locked Routes disappear
                and the Time Active timer resets to "0". If you don't have any locked
                routes you probably won't notice if your TNC has reset or not. In that
                case the only way to know is by checking the Time Active in K-Net
                Status. (To check the timer go into your K-Net and type "S" for status
                the first line is "Time Active ###### mins".

                The reason I bring this up is that we have been in contact with Ken
                Customer Support at Kantronics and he thinks it's odd that we (here in
                Denver) are the only XL users who have been experiencing the anomaly.
                We would like very much to document this issue in other areas of the
                country so that we can bring credence to this issue for Kantronics.
                Please email me ag0s@... or w6oav@....

                Thanks for your time.
                Best 73 to all.
                George
              • gstone511@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                  Greetings.

                  I have had my KAM XL for many years.  Recently I rearranged the shack and am now having the following problem.  When receiving HF Pactor the Lock/Con light and the Speed light go red and the Val/Sta light goes out and the system seems to lock up, that is, I continue to send but I get no further data.

                  My manual talks about having the lights on the front panel but offers no explanation as to their function.  Can someone point me to a place where all the lights on the front are explained?

                  Thanks,

                  George

                  AC7AI

                • gstone54321a
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 19, 2012
                    Greetings, I have a KAM XL and all the instruction were on a disc but nowhere can I find an explanation of what the lights on the front mean. Would someone be kind enough to explain what the abbreviations mean and what the different colored lights on the front panel signify. Thanks, George
                  • Jeremy
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 22, 2012
                      Hi George,

                      From the manual (pg 21):
                      Left to right

                      Port 1 Transmit (Red), Port 1 Recieve (Gree), Lock/Connect (tri-color), Valid/STA (green), Speed (Tri-color), Mail (yellow), Port 2 Transmit (Red), Port 2 Receive (Green), Connect (Green), STA (Green), Power (Green.)

                      Port 1 is HF/VHF so is slightly different than Port 2. The TX LED means the TNC is keying the radio. the RX LED means there is a signal on the frequency. Lock means the TNC has zeroed in on a digital signal and is decoding. Connect means you are joined in a ARQ QSO. Valid/Sta as best i can tell means you have a good packet come through, but I'm not entirely sure about this one. The Speed will indicate the baud rate of certain ARQ modes like Gtor or Pactor. Mail will flash yellow when there is an unread message in your mailbox.

                      Port 2 is packet only and has the same general rules for LEDs.

                      hope that helps

                      73
                      Jeremy N1ZZZ