Kam XL

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2006
      I don't own one of these yet, but I'm close.

      According to what I can learn from the manual the XL has RAM totaling
      102,400K. Can that be upgraded? Are protions of it dedicated to
      certain modes, or can it all be called in for one purpose?

      How much RAM is needed for the operating system?

      73 de Scott in Texas
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2006
        Hi Scott,

        The Kam XL is a amazing piece of hardware. The possibilities are
        endless, if only they do some firmware development with the thing.

        As far as I'm aware, there haven't been any new modes added to it
        since PSK31 some years ago.

        I don't believe the ram is upgradable. It's all surface mount inside
        with no expansion headers.

        As TNC's go. it's still the best money can buy. If you want the best
        TNC on the market. it's definatly the one to buy. It's just a shame
        the firmware development is not handled differently. If it were the
        device could definatly reach it's full potential with newer modes.

        I would love to see packet on it expanded to include Q15X25, PSK,
        variable baudrate independant to mode. The list goes on.

        It's sad to see such high end hardware so badly crippled. Older units
        like the AEA DSP2232 for example, now years extinct offering still far
        more flexability and many more packet modes then what the Kam XL
        currently has to offer.

        I have a couple of Kam XL's sitting here that have been doing nothing
        more then collecting dust the past few year waiting for Q15X25. In
        fact I am just about to give up and join the sound card brigade.

        Anyhow, good luck with your purchase.

        Fingers crossed that we will see some enhancements before they release
        a new model and the XL joins the unsupported ranks of the Kam+ etc. :(

        Regards,
        Ken
        .-.-.