KPC3+ to USB???

  • ke5bme
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2006
      My KPC3+ is currently plugged into the serial port on my pc. I plan to
      get a laptop soon, but USB has replaced serial ports on all of today's
      models.

      I've seen cables built to interface a serial device to a USB port...do
      these work? What are my options?

      Rob
      KE5BME
    • Bryan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2006
        --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "ke5bme" <ke5bme@...> wrote:

        > My KPC3+ is currently plugged into the serial port on my pc. I plan to
        > get a laptop soon, but USB has replaced serial ports on all of today's
        > models.
        >
        > I've seen cables built to interface a serial device to a USB port...do
        > these work? What are my options?
        >
        > Rob
        > KE5BME

        Having the same situation with new laptops/PCs without serial ports I
        have had to deal with the problem, too. I had a Keyspan USB-Serial
        adapter but found it would not work with all programs. Looking
        through some ham forums I came across this unit from pfranc.com
        (http://pfranc.com/usb/usb.mhtml) I bought one and have been very
        satisfied with its performance and reliability. I am using on a Win
        XP laptop with Kenwood, Yaesu and ICOM programming software. I just
        used it last night with my KPC 3+ with WinPack.
        The only thing you may have to deal with is that when you plug it into
        your PC it may assign the USB serial port adapter to a COM port that
        is outside of the range of the software you are using. In my case it
        was assigned to COM5 and WinPack only supported COM1-4. If this
        happens right mouse click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop.
        Select "Properties" from the list. When the System Properties screen
        opens select the Hardware tab, then click on the "Device Manager"
        button. Scroll down the device list to "Ports (COM & LPT)", expand it
        by clicking on the "+" then you will find the USB port assignment. If
        it outside of your applications range right click on the port, select
        properties then the Port Settings tab. Click on the "Advanced" button
        and then select a new COM port assignment from the list.
        After you do this once, whenever you plug in the adapter it should
        assign the same COM port - IF YOU PLUG IT INTO THE SAME USB PORT!

        Hope this helps,
        Bryan KC├śCUA