Re: [kantronics] Kam plus v8.2

  • Nick B.
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2005
      Jim Shorney wrote:

      >On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:57:16 -0800, Cortland Richmond wrote:
      >

      >>If they can't get the old ROM chips, they can't upgrade the firmware
      >>anyway, and probably don't even have the old ROM burner in the plant.
      >>However, you may be able to find a complete late-rev KAM+ for sale used
      >>at a good price.
      >>

      >I emailed Kantronics once practically begging them to sell me the ROM
      >image file of the last KPC3 code. Never got a response, yes, no, or get
      >lost. From this experience and what I've heard, I'm not real impressed
      >with the customer service.
      >
      >I ended up getting a newer (but not latest) revision from another ham
      >and burning my own EPROM.

      As Kantronics no longer support these older TNCs would they have any
      objection to making firmware updates available in the files area here? I
      realise that they are still the intellectual property owners and there
      might still be license royalties to pay to SCS for the PACTOR protocol.
      I have an original KAM and managed to get a V6.1 EPROM from a UK dealer,
      and the appropriate docs from mods.dk. I'd be quite willing to upload it
      to the files area subject to the moderator's approval.
      As I have an EPROM prgrammer here I routinely archive any TNC EPROMs
      that look as if they might be interesting.
      So far in the Kantronics file I have KAM v5.0, KAM v6.1, Data Engine 2.0
      and a WeatherNode.

      73
      --
      Nick G4IRX
    • James DeLoach
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 30, 2005
        Marty, since Kantronics quit supporting the older TNC's, I been able
        to get newer proms and memory chips for the KPC-3 from Doug Ferrell,
        KD4MOJ. He frequently sells chips for Kantronics TNC's on E-bay.
        You might contact him and see if he has a prom for the KAM Plus. I
        think he buys TNC's and then sells them for parts. I have bought
        from him in the past and have been very pleased with the service he
        provides. I don't have his current email address but you should be
        able to get it from some place like QRZ.

        Good luck.

        73,

        James
        N5SKU

        --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "Marty" <kd4hlv@r...> wrote:

        > I was surprised to get a response from Kantronics after what
        everyone
        > else wrote about them, But the same as what you all wrote.
        >
        > I managed to fined a Kam Plus with later version software than
        mine.

        > Merry Christmas and Happy and safe New Years!
        >
        > Marty - KD4HLV
        >
        > (Updates for the old model TNCs, which includes the KAM Plus, have
        been
        > discontinued for quite some time, and they are no longer available
        from
        > Kantronics.
        >
        > The only major changes after version 7.0, were in the addition of
        GPS data
        > capture and beacon (in 8.0) and APRS digipeater (in 8.2).
        >
        > Kantronics Technical Service)

      • Cortland Richmond
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 30, 2005
          nick@... wrote:

          >As Kantronics no longer support these older TNCs would they have any
          >objection to making firmware updates available in the files area here? I
          >realise that they are still the intellectual property owners and there
          >might still be license royalties to pay to SCS for the PACTOR protocol.

          I suspect they'd rather we bought new instead of upgrading old KAM+'s etc.

          Cortland
          KA5S