Kam Plus - won't connect on VHF port

  • flingitman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 11, 2014
      I picked up a Kam Plus and while I am able to connect to it with ROC and control it etc and I am plugging it into a known good RF connection etc.

      I cannot get it to connect to other stations VIA RF.

      Jumpers all look similar to my other working KAM Plus the REC light on the VHF side seems to blink/flash, almost like it's kind of deaf etc.

      Running CD/Soft radio open squelch so that's not the issue.

      Should I start looking at replacing parts?

      WA6JFK
    • flingitman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 11, 2014

        An updated to this.

        I changed CD to Internal/Internal and set the squelch on the radio and now it connects very well.

        Any ideas where I might be able to fix this issue as I like running CD.

        Thanks

        WA6JFK

      • zl4ax
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 11, 2014

          Hi Flingitman

          I suggest that you use a second radio and listen to how your suspect Kam is sounding when compared to the others on your local network.  Listen to your good working one as a reference point.

          If other stations are not reponding to your 2nd Kam, then it isn't correctly modulating the radio.  Adjust the jumpers/thumbwheels to get it the same as the one that works.

          If all else fails, do a 'Hard Re-Set' and start over.

          You could also check that your radio's squelch isn't slow when it's set high, and on the Kam, you might try increasing the txdelay with  cmd:TXD 40

          Also make sure that you have no 'AXHANG' set.

          If the TNC sounds normal to the ear, then it probably is OK, and it must be another problem.

          73

          Paul ZL4AX New Zealand

        • flingitman
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 12, 2014

            I have done the hard reset before all this so that is ok.

            The unit works fine if I set CD at Internal/Internal so the TNC is working, it just cannot figure out what is carrier and packets when it is set to CD for some reason, and exact same radio etc play nice with another KAM Plus with 8.0 FW

            I am wondering if it is the little thumbweel and if anyone has a part number for that, or where I could purchase one.

            WA6JFK

          • zl4ax
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 12, 2014

              If it works on it's own internal setting, then the TNC is in good order, and the non-decoding issue is elsewhere, presumably in the levels between the TNC and the computer that is doing the decoding.   I'm beat on what that might be, as I never run 'squelch open' mode, but you might try checking the TTL / RS232 jumper to make sure that the line out port voltage setting is in the right place.

              If it isn't that, you've got me beat, hi hi!

              Good luck

              Paul ZL4AX

            • Nick B.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 13, 2014
                  Paul,

                  The jumper I'm referring to changes the value of capacitor feeding the VHF modem IC, increasing the amount of LF rolloff into the TCM3105. I'm running my KAM+ with software DCD, feeding it via the mini-din connector of either a TM-D700 or FT8900 and it runs fine.

                  There is, of course the usual capacitor problem to consider as well which would affect the RS232 -ve supply generator!

                  73
                  Nick G4IRX

                  --
                  Nick B.
                • flingitman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 13, 2014

                    Yes, going to look a little further and then probably jettison on ebay and explain the CD issue.

                    I doubt the CD goes on in an external computer as the TNC is a stand alone device that can be connected to etc while completely separated from any PC etc.

                    The CD must take place on the device itself.

                    Thanks

                    WA6JFK