KPC-2400 SRAM Questions

  • pputnam
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2013
      Greetings,

      I have a KPC-2400 (code ver 3.05) with a standard SRAM chip.

      It's an otherwise satisfactory TNC, but it loses all the mail files and the clock setting when power is cycled.

      1. Will changing the present SRAM chip to a battery backed SRAM prevent mail loss?

      2. If I change the SRAM to a battery backed device with a clock chip, will the new clock chip be recognized by my version of the code? If not, will a later version accomplish that?

      Regards,
      Peter
    • zl4ax
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2013

        Hi Peter

        Short answer: No.  Sorry.  It can't be upgraded.

        A couple of decades ago there was a rare and expensive 'temporary fix'

        that involved fitting a huge hybrid eprom with a 'hump' in it's back that

        contained a backup battery.  It cost half a week's wages at the time, and

        only lasted a couple of years, then died!   It's no longer available.

        Your dear old vintage TNC is just that, a vintage piece of IT history.

        In fact, newer Kantronics TNC's than yours have the same volatile memory

        affecting mailbox loss of contents and zero-ing of the clock.

        But hey, your mailbox is a teensy little 10kb (current models are 512k) and

        it hardly matters if you lose it.  Re-setting the clock is a small price to pay

        for saving yourself $300 on a new TNC isn't it?

        Enjoy an excellent piece of old equipment, it's like owning a classic car!

        73  Paul  ZL4AX New Zealand

        ---In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, <kantronics@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Greetings,

        I have a KPC-2400 (code ver 3.05) with a standard SRAM chip.

        It's an otherwise satisfactory TNC, but it loses all the mail files and the clock setting when power is cycled.

        1. Will changing the present SRAM chip to a battery backed SRAM prevent mail loss?

        2. If I change the SRAM to a battery backed device with a clock chip, will the new clock chip be recognized by my version of the code? If not, will a later version accomplish that?

        Regards,
        Peter
      • Peter Putnam
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 19, 2013
          Good News for KPC-2400 Owners

          As originally supplied, the KPC-2400 TNC will loose the contents of it's
          mailbox and the clock setting during even a brief power outage. There is
          an easy and inexpensive upgrade that will solve both problems at the
          same time.

          Substituting a low-power SRAM such as the CY62256LL for the current SRAM
          and putting it in a Dallas Semiconductor DS1216C battery/clock module
          will allow you to retain your mail messages and clock settings during a
          power loss.

          It won't cost an arm and a leg, either. The new SRAM and Dallas device
          total about $22.00 if you shop carefully.

          The mailbox may be small, but that doesn't mean the messages it holds
          are not important. If the SRAM you pick has a data-retention current of
          less than 0.5 microamps at 25 deg C, your clock and mail files are safe
          for more than ten years.

          Peter
          NI6E