Help with kantronics plus 8.2

  • hisierra1
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 28, 2012
      Hello to all, i am new to this TNC thing. I have a new in the box, but old, kantronics plus 8.2, a laptop computer, icom 706mk2g,ft736r that i could use for tnc operation.I don't have a clue where to start.I am disabled. I can do soldering,wiring,been into radio since 1996,but no packet.
      Can anyone help? Thank you!
    • brad_ka3yan
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
        Sounds to me like you've got all that you need. I recommend that you do some reading up on packet operation if you haven't done it before. I too have a KAM+ running 8.2 firmware, which is the latest for that model TNC.

        You have the radio, computer, and TNC...now you just need to build the cables to interface them all. If your TNC came with the operator's manual, you're 90% of the way there. The TNC has three ports on the back. A 25-pin DB25 that goes to your computer. A 9-pin DB-9 that goes to your VHF radio if you decide to do VHF packet. And a 8-pin DIN connector that will lead to your HF radio if you decide to do HF packet.

        For me personally, I do both since the KAM+ will do both simultaneously. I recommend that you investigate what sort of packet activity is happening in your area. For me, I have the gateway, but there is very little packet activity on VHF. There is plenty of APRS though.

        Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. You have some nice gear, so just experiment and have fun with it.

        73,
        Brad KA3YAN
        SYSOP for KB4SC

        --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "hisierra1" <hisierra1@...> wrote:

        > Hello to all, i am new to this TNC thing. I have a new in the box, but old, kantronics plus 8.2, a laptop computer, icom 706mk2g,ft736r that i could use for tnc operation.I don't have a clue where to start.I am disabled. I can do soldering,wiring,been into radio since 1996,but no packet.
        > Can anyone help? Thank you!

      • kb5zxm
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2012
          Hi I am kb5zxm , I seem to have the same KAM mentioned here, The add on board has an IC marked U1 and it bears the lable of KAM 8.2 , my primary need it to do packet. but I also have an IC 706 and an IC 751 that I might do HF with later.
          I went to the Kantronics web site, but found little about the KAM device except it's no longer supported.
          Should I try to update the IC with V8.2? and if so how. I might change the lithium battery, but the number is hidden, and who ever put it in did not date it.
          I want to use this for ARES. I am told it is to old to do the current HF stuff. Any way I am reading up now, I have made my cables, Is there any soft ware that I have to add to the computer other than RMS and Telnet?
          thanks, to all for the forum. Seems Data radio cost a lot, I may not want to pay to do HF.

          --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "brad_ka3yan" <bradm75@...> wrote:

          > Sounds to me like you've got all that you need. I recommend that you do some reading up on packet operation if you haven't done it before. I too have a KAM+ running 8.2 firmware, which is the latest for that model TNC.
          >
          > You have the radio, computer, and TNC...now you just need to build the cables to interface them all. If your TNC came with the operator's manual, you're 90% of the way there. The TNC has three ports on the back. A 25-pin DB25 that goes to your computer. A 9-pin DB-9 that goes to your VHF radio if you decide to do VHF packet. And a 8-pin DIN connector that will lead to your HF radio if you decide to do HF packet.
          >
          > For me personally, I do both since the KAM+ will do both simultaneously. I recommend that you investigate what sort of packet activity is happening in your area. For me, I have the gateway, but there is very little packet activity on VHF. There is plenty of APRS though.
          >
          > Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. You have some nice gear, so just experiment and have fun with it.
          >
          > 73,
          > Brad KA3YAN
          > SYSOP for KB4SC
          >
          > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "hisierra1" <hisierra1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello to all, i am new to this TNC thing. I have a new in the box, but old, kantronics plus 8.2, a laptop computer, icom 706mk2g,ft736r that i could use for tnc operation.I don't have a clue where to start.I am disabled. I can do soldering,wiring,been into radio since 1996,but no packet.
          > > Can anyone help? Thank you!

        • David Struebel
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 15, 2012
            Firmware version 8.2 was the last available so there is no upgrade that you can do for that.

            I think the lithium battery should be a CR 2032.

            Dave WB2FTX
            Hi I am kb5zxm , I seem to have the same KAM mentioned here, The add on board has an IC marked U1 and it bears the lable of KAM 8.2 , my primary need it to do packet. but I also have an IC 706 and an IC 751 that I might do HF with later.
            I went to the Kantronics web site, but found little about the KAM device except it's no longer supported.
            Should I try to update the IC with V8.2? and if so how. I might change the lithium battery, but the number is hidden, and who ever put it in did not date it.
            I want to use this for ARES. I am told it is to old to do the current HF stuff. Any way I am reading up now, I have made my cables, Is there any soft ware that I have to add to the computer other than RMS and Telnet?
            thanks, to all for the forum. Seems Data radio cost a lot, I may not want to pay to do HF.

            --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "brad_ka3yan" <bradm75@...> wrote:

            > Sounds to me like you've got all that you need. I recommend that you do some reading up on packet operation if you haven't done it before. I too have a KAM+ running 8.2 firmware, which is the latest for that model TNC.
            >
            > You have the radio, computer, and TNC...now you just need to build the cables to interface them all. If your TNC came with the operator's manual, you're 90% of the way there. The TNC has three ports on the back. A 25-pin DB25 that goes to your computer. A 9-pin DB-9 that goes to your VHF radio if you decide to do VHF packet. And a 8-pin DIN connector that will lead to your HF radio if you decide to do HF packet.
            >
            > For me personally, I do both since the KAM+ will do both simultaneously. I recommend that you investigate what sort of packet activity is happening in your area. For me, I have the gateway, but there is very little packet activity on VHF. There is plenty of APRS though.
            >
            > Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. You have some nice gear, so just experiment and have fun with it.
            >
            > 73,
            > Brad KA3YAN
            > SYSOP for KB4SC
            >
            > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "hisierra1" <hisierra1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello to all, i am new to this TNC thing. I have a new in the box, but old, kantronics plus 8.2, a laptop computer, icom 706mk2g,ft736r that i could use for tnc operation.I don't have a clue where to start.I am disabled. I can do soldering,wiring,been into radio since 1996,but no packet.
            > > Can anyone help? Thank you!

          • kd4ubn
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 16, 2012
              If you have a KAM+ (PLUS) and your EPROM is labeled with version 8.2, you have the last released firmware installed. KANTRONICS discontinued the KAM+ in 1998, and was replaced by the KAM-XL. Lithium battery is a CR2032. I am not running any non Packet HF modes, so I cannot help you on additional software for the TOR modes.
              I use to run software called KaGold from Interflex Systems, but it has stopped working since it appears to no longer be supported (and a call sign change), and was written for much slower computers, in a DOS O/S.

              Good Luck,

              Greg / N4GOS

              --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "kb5zxm" <kb5zxm@...> wrote:

              > Hi I am kb5zxm , I seem to have the same KAM mentioned here, The add on board has an IC marked U1 and it bears the lable of KAM 8.2 , my primary need it to do packet. but I also have an IC 706 and an IC 751 that I might do HF with later.
              > I went to the Kantronics web site, but found little about the KAM device except it's no longer supported.
              > Should I try to update the IC with V8.2? and if so how. I might change the lithium battery, but the number is hidden, and who ever put it in did not date it.
              > I want to use this for ARES. I am told it is to old to do the current HF stuff. Any way I am reading up now, I have made my cables, Is there any soft ware that I have to add to the computer other than RMS and Telnet?
              > thanks, to all for the forum. Seems Data radio cost a lot, I may not want to pay to do HF.
              >
              > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "brad_ka3yan" <bradm75@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Sounds to me like you've got all that you need. I recommend that you do some reading up on packet operation if you haven't done it before. I too have a KAM+ running 8.2 firmware, which is the latest for that model TNC.
              > >
              > > You have the radio, computer, and TNC...now you just need to build the cables to interface them all. If your TNC came with the operator's manual, you're 90% of the way there. The TNC has three ports on the back. A 25-pin DB25 that goes to your computer. A 9-pin DB-9 that goes to your VHF radio if you decide to do VHF packet. And a 8-pin DIN connector that will lead to your HF radio if you decide to do HF packet.
              > >
              > > For me personally, I do both since the KAM+ will do both simultaneously. I recommend that you investigate what sort of packet activity is happening in your area. For me, I have the gateway, but there is very little packet activity on VHF. There is plenty of APRS though.
              > >
              > > Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. You have some nice gear, so just experiment and have fun with it.
              > >
              > > 73,
              > > Brad KA3YAN
              > > SYSOP for KB4SC
              > >
              > > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "hisierra1" <hisierra1@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello to all, i am new to this TNC thing. I have a new in the box, but old, kantronics plus 8.2, a laptop computer, icom 706mk2g,ft736r that i could use for tnc operation.I don't have a clue where to start.I am disabled. I can do soldering,wiring,been into radio since 1996,but no packet.
              > > > Can anyone help? Thank you!

            • nb7o
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 16, 2012
                If you have the dual port 1200 baud Kam you will not be able to do HF with it.

                If you have the dual port HF/VHF KamPlus then you will at least be able to run Pactor I. Many stations are not allowing pactor I connections because of its slow data throughput rate.

                I would recommend looking at Airmail if you have the KamPlus. Airmail will also work well with the Kam; but only for 1200 baud VHF.

                seven three de kevin/NB7O

                --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "kb5zxm" <kb5zxm@...> wrote:

                > Hi I am kb5zxm , I seem to have the same KAM mentioned here, The add on board has an IC marked U1 and it bears the lable of KAM 8.2 , my primary need it to do packet. but I also have an IC 706 and an IC 751 that I might do HF with later.
                > I went to the Kantronics web site, but found little about the KAM device except it's no longer supported.
                > Should I try to update the IC with V8.2? and if so how. I might change the lithium battery, but the number is hidden, and who ever put it in did not date it.
                > I want to use this for ARES. I am told it is to old to do the current HF stuff. Any way I am reading up now, I have made my cables, Is there any soft ware that I have to add to the computer other than RMS and Telnet?
                > thanks, to all for the forum. Seems Data radio cost a lot, I may not want to pay to do HF.
                >
                > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "brad_ka3yan" <bradm75@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Sounds to me like you've got all that you need. I recommend that you do some reading up on packet operation if you haven't done it before. I too have a KAM+ running 8.2 firmware, which is the latest for that model TNC.
                > >
                > > You have the radio, computer, and TNC...now you just need to build the cables to interface them all. If your TNC came with the operator's manual, you're 90% of the way there. The TNC has three ports on the back. A 25-pin DB25 that goes to your computer. A 9-pin DB-9 that goes to your VHF radio if you decide to do VHF packet. And a 8-pin DIN connector that will lead to your HF radio if you decide to do HF packet.
                > >
                > > For me personally, I do both since the KAM+ will do both simultaneously. I recommend that you investigate what sort of packet activity is happening in your area. For me, I have the gateway, but there is very little packet activity on VHF. There is plenty of APRS though.
                > >
                > > Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. You have some nice gear, so just experiment and have fun with it.
                > >
                > > 73,
                > > Brad KA3YAN
                > > SYSOP for KB4SC
                > >
                > > --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "hisierra1" <hisierra1@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hello to all, i am new to this TNC thing. I have a new in the box, but old, kantronics plus 8.2, a laptop computer, icom 706mk2g,ft736r that i could use for tnc operation.I don't have a clue where to start.I am disabled. I can do soldering,wiring,been into radio since 1996,but no packet.
                > > > Can anyone help? Thank you!

              • kb5zxm
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 20, 2012
                  I thank you for your kind response, the batt was in fact alive, I connected this to a GE VHF Phoenix radio every thing works except tx audio, I got the KAM in a card vice and am going to trouble shoot the audio path in it. It would be nice to have operators trouble shooting program for these. If you know what it is pls let me know. I plan to get into a terminal mode and just send characters while I trace the signal. Gotta go It's WC ARES net time here in Texas.
                  thanks again. daryl kb5zxm