Kantronics Repair Advice Please

  • zl4ax
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 27, 2012
      I seem to have damaged my beautiful KAMplus V8.0 by starting the car whilst it was operating.
      I use my KAMplus mobile to monitor DX-Cluster whilst operating CW on HF. On this occasion I was parked, and decided to move the car to a different spot a few yards away. When I engaged the starter I guess there must have been a surge of power, because my KAM did a re-set, but did not return to normal operation.
      After the car-starting incident the KAM re-booted with a string of unreadable hex characters, and then became uncontrollable, so I had to take it into the shack for a full hard re-set and re-write all the config. Back in the car it ran fine for a couple of days, but then started re-booting itself from time-to-time and losing all it's configs.
      Now it won't boot up at all until it's been switched on for five minutes or more, and the red TX light sticks on, with the green bar-meter pegged at the left-hand end. Finally it boots up in 'Auto-baud' mode, and I lose all the config again. It's a really sick puppy!

      Please can anyone tell me what components in the KAMplus might be likely to become damaged by such a voltage spike during starting a car? I have no electronic engineering experience, but I'm happy to order-in a selection of chips and components from the power supply train of the unit and start substituting them one-at-a-time until I get lucky.... I just need some good suggestions from anyone who is experienced with KAMs who might know what parts would be the most likely to be damaged and could cause these symptoms. Any educated guess would be appreciated. I bought this KAM brand new and I love it. It cost around $1500 when I got it in 1995 so I want to get it back to good health!

      Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
      73 Paul ZL4AX New Zealand
    • kevin asato
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 27, 2012
        you may want to consider changing out the electrolytic capacitors, especially around the charge pump circuit which helps develop the negative voltage rail for the RS-232 driver. The electrolytics do dry out over time and will cause terminal problems you are seeing.
        73,
        kevin
        kc6pob

        ________________________________
[...]

      • Brad Pioveson W9FX
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 28, 2012
          Paul, I second Kevin’s comment. I resurrected my ancient KAM V6.1 this afternoon by replacing those two electrolytic caps. I didn’t have 50uF’s/ 10V on hand, but, a pair of 47uF’s were in the kit…

          Prior to the repair, the unit had been spewing gibberish, uncontrollably, from it’s RS232 port. There are a pair of bipolar xsistors associated with that circuit, too. One’s a PNP, the other an NPN. Both are garden variety (2N2222 and 2N3904? – don’t quote me, I’ve already buttoned up the case on my KAM). If the KAMplus shares that same architecture, that pair might have taken a nosedive if the rig got zotzed by a slug of overvoltage.

          73 and GL

          Brad, W9FX

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 29, 2012
            Which capacitors were these specifically?

            Dave WB2FTX

[...]

            No virus found in this message.

          • Brad Pioveson W9FX
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 29, 2012
              The two caps are a pair of 50uF/10V electrolytics located at the front of the KAM board just to the left of the power/mode switches. The caps are C42 and C43. The two xistors I mentioned are right behind ‘em. Here’s a website with photos of the two caps’ location and a schematic clip for reference: http://www.ik5pwc.it/en/kam_repair.html

              73, Brad, W9FX

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 29, 2012
                Thank you. I also have a KAM that is generating those random garbage characters. I will look into the components of this circuit.

                Dave WB2FTX

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 30, 2012
                  THanks for the info on this thread about the Kam.
                  One thing that might be wrong with mine would be those 2 transistors. Will checking that out later on report to group.
                  BUT BE AWARE that the CAPS in question C42 & C43 are NOT 50uF’s/ 10V . A typo is easy.
                  THEY ARE AS IT SO SAYS IN THE MANUAL AND AT THE kantronics website. 10uF 50V.
                  Don’t know if this would make a difference in performance or not, but sooner put in the right components.
                  That is what i have used in a couple of my kams.
                  One is dead at this time and possibly changing to 2 transistors might just revive it.
                  Thanks to the group, always interesting and certainly did find the articles from IK5PWC to be of great value.

                  Thanks for reading.

                  de Jean-Guy/ve9buf

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 30, 2012
                    Jean-Guy and all, the two electrolytics that came out of my KAM were indeed 10uF/50V, as you say. I dug the old caps out of the trash today and looked again. Mea culpa. I’ll yank my replacements out and get the higher voltage units installed later today!

                    Thanks for catching my mistake! The irony is that I actually had one 10uF /50V unit installed, rethought it, looked at the removed caps again, and misread the value that time. Old eyes…

                    73, Brad, W9FX

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 30, 2012
                      Not a problem at all Brad. Glad you caught it , as things might have heated up some.
                      Anyway, when i read your thread and spotted that, it more or less puzzled me, as i had put a couple in one of my kam a couple months ago, and that did not register right, hi.
                      I know what you mean with old eyes, also the shakes don’t help either hi.
                      Have a great day all and if someone had started to work on their kam, better check the value of those caps.

                      have a great summer all, having one of the better summer on record here on the east coast of Canada.
                      cul

                      de Jean-Guy/ve9buf