KPC-3 pinout questions

  • lomfs24
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
      Hello all, easy question first. I have pulled the pinout sheet off of Kantronics website for the KPC-3+. However, I have a KPC-3 how close are the pinouts? Hopefully they are the same with the + model just having more features.

      Next question.
      The goal is to use a Kenwood TK series radio for APRS. I have a KCT-19 cable on order and should be here today. I have the pinout for that cable to run packet or APRS (yeah, I know they are pretty much the same). However, one of the reasons I have chosen to go with a Kenwood is that they have the ability to switch channels and transmit data and then switch back to the original voice channel. This requires the DTC pin to be grounded. I have made this work and I know it does. However, I don't know which pin on the the KPC-3 will provide a ground prior to sending data. The logical choice is pin 9 being GND/Reset. What I don't know is this a constant ground or a momentary ground while sending data? The only other options would be Pin 4 or 8 for CTLB/AN0 or CTLA/AN1 respectively. And I don't think either of those two pins would be what I was looking for. Any help with this would be great and I should be up on the air running tonight. :)
      73's
      W7DOA
      Rahn
    • Jim (List)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
        Pinouts are identical, except the non+ versions didn't have the A-to-D
        converter so any references to optional AD signals are not relevant.

        The 9-pin radio connector has become a de-facto standard for just about all
        recent and current data equipment, copied by most APRS kit and other
        manufacturers.

        Pin 7 is often used for +12v, link-selectable in the Kantronics units (IIRC
        it can have a different function selected so you have to be careful).

        Jim, G1HUL

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
          I'd go with a transistor switch and/or relay to supply the ground signal.
          Transistor switches are faster. relays can carry more current but are slower. That's my 2-cants worth. :)

          DB-9 Radio Connector for KPC-3 (non-plus)
          Pin-1 = AFSK Audio Out to radio
          Pin-2 = XCD (detects if radio is busy receiving, disables KPC-3 from transmitting. optional)
          Pin-3 = PTT to Radio
          Pin 4 = Audio to optional speaker (for monitoring signal)
          Pin 5 = Audio In From Radio
          Pin-6 = Ground/Shield
          Pin-7 = not connected (optional use is to power KPC-3, see reference manual)
          Pin-8&9 = Ground

          KD6AAJ

          > have pulled the pinout sheet off of Kantronics website for
          > the KPC-3+. However, I have a KPC-3 how close are the
          > pinouts? Hopefully they are the same with the + model just
          > having more features.
          >
          > Next question.
          > The goal is to use a Kenwood TK series radio for APRS. I
          > have a KCT-19 cable on order and should be here today. I
          > have the pinout for that cable to run packet or APRS (yeah,
          > I know they are pretty much the same). However, one of the
          > reasons I have chosen to go with a Kenwood is that they have
          > the ability to switch channels and transmit data and then
          > switch back to the original voice channel. This requires the
          > DTC pin to be grounded. I have made this work and I know it
          > does. However, I don't know which pin on the the KPC-3 will
          > provide a ground prior to sending data. The logical choice
          > is pin 9 being GND/Reset. What I don't know is this a
          > constant ground or a momentary ground while sending data?
          > The only other options would be Pin 4 or 8 for CTLB/AN0 or
          > CTLA/AN1 respectively. And I don't think either of those two
          > pins would be what I was looking for. Any help with this
          > would be great and I should be up on the air running
          > tonight. :)
          > 73's
          > W7DOA
          > Rahn

          >     kantronics-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Lee Mairs (SAG)
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
            I noticed the other day that my KPC 3+ packet TNC (used on the WV DAREN
            network) was not indicating the correct time. Perusing the manuals I found
            definition of the DAYTIME command and tried to correct the time and date in
            this manner. While the commands appeared to be successful, there was no
            change in the DAYTIME reading.
            I seem to remember that an addeitional chip might have been required to get
            time stamping. Can anyone help with this? Is there a pin jumper that must
            be changed internally?
            73 de Lee
            KM4YY

          • Rahn Abbott
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
              Thanks for the information. That's what I needed to know.

              I'd go with a transistor switch and/or relay to supply the ground signal.
              Transistor switches are faster. relays can carry more current but are slower. That's my 2-cants worth. :)

              DB-9 Radio Connector for KPC-3 (non-plus)
              Pin-1 = AFSK Audio Out to radio
              Pin-2 = XCD (detects if radio is busy receiving, disables KPC-3 from transmitting. optional)
              Pin-3 = PTT to Radio
              Pin 4 = Audio to optional speaker (for monitoring signal)
              Pin 5 = Audio In From Radio
              Pin-6 = Ground/Shield
              Pin-7 = not connected (optional use is to power KPC-3, see reference manual)
              Pin-8&9 = Ground

              KD6AAJ

              > have pulled the pinout sheet off of Kantronics website for
              > the KPC-3+. However, I have a KPC-3 how close are the
              > pinouts? Hopefully they are the same with the + model just
              > having more features.
              >
              > Next question.
              > The goal is to use a Kenwood TK series radio for APRS. I
              > have a KCT-19 cable on order and should be here today. I
              > have the pinout for that cable to run packet or APRS (yeah,
              > I know they are pretty much the same). However, one of the
              > reasons I have chosen to go with a Kenwood is that they have
              > the ability to switch channels and transmit data and then
              > switch back to the original voice channel. This requires the
              > DTC pin to be grounded. I have made this work and I know it
              > does. However, I don't know which pin on the the KPC-3 will
              > provide a ground prior to sending data. The logical choice
              > is pin 9 being GND/Reset. What I don't know is this a
              > constant ground or a momentary ground while sending data?
              > The only other options would be Pin 4 or 8 for CTLB/AN0 or
              > CTLA/AN1 respectively. And I don't think either of those two
              > pins would be what I was looking for. Any help with this
              > would be great and I should be up on the air running
              > tonight. :)
              > 73's
              > W7DOA
              > Rahn

              > kantronics-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • kd4ubn
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 17, 2012
                Installing the Optional Real-time Clock Module in the KPC-3+ (KPC-3 PLUS)

                (Copied from the KPC-3+ manual)

                The Real-time clock option for the KPC-3 Plus consists of a FOX 72421 self contained clock chip.

                Install the clock chip with pin 1 toward the right (as you are looking at the unit) in socket U15.
                You will need to initialize the clock with the current date and time after installing the clock chip.
                Just enter the DAYTIME as described in the commands section of this manual. The Real-time clock is read when the KPC-3 Plus is powered on, or when a soft reset occurs.

                73 De Greg / N4GOS

                --- In kantronics@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Mairs (SAG)" <lmairs@...> wrote:

                > I noticed the other day that my KPC 3+ packet TNC (used on the WV DAREN
                > network) was not indicating the correct time. Perusing the manuals I found
                > definition of the DAYTIME command and tried to correct the time and date in
                > this manner. While the commands appeared to be successful, there was no
                > change in the DAYTIME reading.
                > I seem to remember that an addeitional chip might have been required to get
                > time stamping. Can anyone help with this? Is there a pin jumper that must
                > be changed internally?
                > 73 de Lee
                > KM4YY

              • Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 17, 2012
                  I'm just running an old GPS on my KPC3+ for my digipeater. Keeps me on
                  time all the time.

                  Mick - W7CAT

                  --
                  Untitled Document

                • voip10
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
                    I can't speak for the KPC3+, but I have a KPC3 and the real-time clock upgrade required the clock chip, addition of a 32,768Hz watch crystal and cutting of a track or removing a soldered-in jumper.