Re: [kantronics] Can a KPC-3 be used for APRS Satellites?

  • Jim Shorney
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2011
      On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 03:57:46 -0000, jje642001 wrote:

      >I have an older version of KPC-3 Firmware that does not support APRS directly. Can I use it in KISS mode with AGW or UI-VIEW to monitor the APRS messages from amateur spacecraft?
      >
      >Is my understanding of KISS mode correct? I am assuming KISS mode simply moves intact packets from audio (at radio output) to data (RS-232).

      Yes and yes. Been there, done that with Xastir and aprsd.

      73

      -Jim

      --
      Ham Radio NU0C
      Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.S.A.

      "Give a man a URL, and he will learn for an hour; teach him to Google, and he will learn for a lifetime."

    • Jean-Guy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 28, 2011
        You certainly can, also you can run any terminal program and do same without
        being in KISS mode. Like you do regular packet radio with a serial cable to
        computer from tnc. Here if I want to listen to APRS and view it on the
        software that I am running, I just switch radio to the APRS frequency of my
        choice. If it works for packet it will work for APRS.
        Terminal program can be anything like hyperterm, Winpack will also work in
        serial mode.
        Good luck

        73 de Jean-Guy/ve9buf