Kam XL keying transistor

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2010
      Hello Everyone, I have a Kam XL that took a static lightning hit. I lost the radio but the Kam XL does work. The problem is the keying transistor on the VHF port is shot, it keys the radio when I plug the radio cable in. The tnc with the HF port configured for VHF use works great with the same radio and cable.

      Is there a substitute transistor I can replace that one with, a full size transistor? Or do I have to replace it with another surface mount transistor.

      Thanks and Happy New Year,
      73
      Mike kb5wbh
    • Michael Tucker
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
        Mike-

        It would be advisable to replace the transistor with the exact SMD type as the circuit board acts as a heat sink for the transistor.

        73, Mike Tucker, W1MCT

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2011
          Looks like 1 side of D4 is shorted to ground. Any idea on something suitable to replace it with?
          73
          Mike kb5wbh